Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org> on 2009/08/05 15:40:33 UTC

Re: Dynamic fetch plan question

> That is really so po-wer-full : it works also on request and it solve
entierly the problem !

fyi...

http://webspherepersistence.blogspot.com/2009/02/dynamic-fetch-planning.html

-----
Pinaki

Re: Dynamic fetch plan question

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hi,
  The concept of Fetch Plan in particular and the perspective of data as
graph (as opposed to rows in a table) are prevalent in non-RDBMS world for
many years. JDO (JSR-12) -a precursor to JPA in many ways - had specified
FetchPlan in its API. The "only RDBMS" view of the world does not see fetch
as orthogonal to selection. But, at times, being a minority has its own
pleasures ...

  OpenJPA has provided the core facilities in terms of fetch plan, detach
(before JPA 2.0 made it a standard), reattach/merge, Detach State
Management-- that can be utilized to build high-performance multi-tier web
application *without* any need to break the unified domain abstractions
through Data Transfer Objects, Data Access Objects etc. across the
application tiers.

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog wrote:

> I already read that blog post and that's after reading it that I
> decided to try OpenJPA.
> I spent a lot of time as a consultant, in previous life, to educate
> people to that concept in the early 2002-2003.
> It was with OJB (as far as I remember) and I didn't know how to name
> that "thing".
>
> That blog post was like a flash of light in my mind : not only I'm not
> alone wanting that feature but it is now well understood and named
> "fetch plan" and more important, it has been implemented in an Apache
> framework so I won't have to code all the machinery myself !
>
> I won't felt lonly anymore, thanks OpenJPA :-)
>
> On Aug 5, 2009, at 15:40 , Pinaki Poddar wrote:
>

>>> That is really so po-wer-full : it works also on request and it solve
>> entierly the problem !
>>
>> fyi...
>>

>> http://webspherepersistence.blogspot.com/2009/02/dynamic-fetch-planning.html
>>

>> -----