Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com> on 2010/03/09 21:00:55 UTC

Google Summer of Code

Google is running their 'Summer of Code' again this year. For those
unfamiliar with it, SoC pays students a small stipend to contribute to an
open-source project. ZooKeeper could greatly benefit from participation -
there is always more work to do than the committers and contributors are
able to find time for.

The application process, both for mentoring organizations and students, is
described here:
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs

Briefly, we need to put together a list of project ideas by this Friday. I'd
really like suggestions from the community for things they'd like students
to work on. Please be as specific as possible - and if you are willing to
mentor a project, so much the better! This is a great chance to get your
personal ZooKeeper issue addressed, if it turns out to be an interesting
project.

There is a wiki page here:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/SoC2010Ideas that requires that you
sign up to edit. Please post your project ideas up there - I've left one as
an example. You can also mail me directly and I'll post them myself. On
Friday I'll tidy up the page and send in an application to Google.

Henry

--
Henry Robinson
Software Engineer

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>.
Just to update - I filled out an application at length, but there were a
couple of typos in the Google web-app that led me to believe the application
was later than it actually was. There's talk of a possible extension to the
deadline as a result, but...

...it turns out that Apache as an umbrella organisation are participating in
SoC, and by labelling JIRAs with 'gsoc' and 'mentor' we appear in the list
of potential projects at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12314021(and,
sneakily, ZooKeeper is right at the top of that list ;)). See
http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html for more details.

So the recent raft of rather large-sounding JIRAs were me copying the ideas
from http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/SoC2010Ideas to ZK JIRA.

Thanks for the ideas - now we wait for applications...

Henry

>>> http://niemeyer.net/blog
>>> http://niemeyer.net/identi.ca

--