Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Raffaele <r....@prismasw.it> on 2007/10/01 10:19:08 UTC

Doubt about settings.xml and properties

Hi all,
I tried to follow an example found in chapter 7 of Better Builds with Maven
free book.

In particular, I have defined a settings.xml in "conf" folder of maven's
installation directory, the following is a piece of that file:
<server>
      <id>private-internal-repository</id>
      <username>${website.username}</username>
      <password>password</password>
</server>

Then I have defined a settings.xml in my USER_HOME/.m2, the following is
that file:
<settings>
  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>property-overrides</id>
      <properties>
        <website.username>admin</website.username>
      </properties>
    </profile>
  </profiles>
</settings>

At this point, I tried to deploy my artifact using this configuration, but I
had a 401 error during deploy.
Moreover executing the mvn help:effective-settings command the output showed
me that the property "<username>${website.username}</username>" wasn't
resolved.

Obviously, substituting
 <username>${website.username}</username> with
 <username>admin</username>
WORKS!!!

Why the book's example doesn't work?

Thanks in advance and best regards.