Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Thomas Jachmann <ho...@gmx.de> on 2002/09/03 12:37:31 UTC

message size limit

Hi!

I'm using james v2.0a3 on Windows 2000 with JDK 1.4.0 with JDBC repositories
on MySql. I've set maxmessagesize in smtpserver configuration to 0 in order
to have no limitation in the size of deliverable messages. If I send a
message of 1MB, I get the following response from the SMTP server:

451 Error processing message: Exception spooling message: Exception caught
while storing mail Container: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Packet is
larger than max_allowed_packet from server configuration of 1047552 bytes;

I then tried to set maxmessagesize to a value greater than 1 MB (1073741824)
but still no success. Is this a know bug and is there a workaround?

Regards,
Thomas

RE: Stop James server ?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
I use the following init script with Andrew Oliver's killjames utility.

	--- Noel

killjames:
http://www.mail-archive.com/james-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg02307.html

init script:

#!/bin/sh
# Startup script for James Mail server
#
# chkconfig: 2345 95 92

[ -f /opt/james/bin/run.sh ] || exit 0

start() {
    echo -n  "Starting James Mail Server: "
    JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java;export JAVA_HOME
    PHOENIX_SECURE=false;export PHOENIX_SECURE
    cd /opt/james/bin
    nohup /opt/james/bin/run.sh &
    RETVAL=$?
    echo
}

stop() {
    echo -n "Shutting down James Mail Server "
    JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java;export JAVA_HOME
    /usr/local/java/bin/java -cp /root/admin-scripts/killjames.jar
de.mud.telnet.JamesKiller 'localhost' '<replace this with your james admin
password>'
    echo
}

restart(){
         stop
         sleep 2
         start
}

case "$1" in
        start)
            start
            ;;

        stop)
            stop
            ;;

     restart)
            restart
            ;;

        *)
            echo "Usage: james {start|stop|restart}"
            exit 1

esac

exit 0

RE: Stop James server ?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
telnet localhost 4555

the default user and pass are root and root

then shutdown will kill it

ps -axlf will also show your james processes more clearly (if your terminal
is wide enough!)

d.

Stop James server ?

Re: message size limit

Posted by Thomas Jachmann <ho...@gmx.de>.
> Ask Danny what he thinks, but I think that 2.1a1 is better than 2.0a3.
Lots
> of bugs fixes and performance improvements.  And there are a few more in
the
> CVS (I just fixed a bug where if you have a max message size, the
exception
> handling was broken and the 552 was not being returned).  If you do pick
up
> 2.1a1, I'd recommend that you grab that isolated fix from the patch in the
> mail archives.
OK - so I'm being brave and will try the current CVS. :)

Thanks a lot,
Thomas

RE: message size limit

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> Ask Danny what he thinks, but I think that 2.1a1 is better than
> 2.0a3.

On the whole probably yes, but don't forget it hasn't had all its issues
vetted like a release version has.

d.

RE: message size limit

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Thomas,

Ask Danny what he thinks, but I think that 2.1a1 is better than 2.0a3.  Lots
of bugs fixes and performance improvements.  And there are a few more in the
CVS (I just fixed a bug where if you have a max message size, the exception
handling was broken and the 552 was not being returned).  If you do pick up
2.1a1, I'd recommend that you grab that isolated fix from the patch in the
mail archives.

I'm running the current CVS head with some additional fixes not yet present
in the CVS.  YMMV.

	--- Noel

Posted by Thomas Jachmann <ho...@gmx.de>.
> Don't say I said so ;-) but so do we.
> We aren't very many, 10 users and a dozen lists, but its been fine for me.
> d.
Well, we're even not that big - just 4 users, no lists. That's why JAMES is
running on a Pentium 200, which might add to the slowness... we'll get a new
server in a few days and I'll move JAMES onto that. One thing I just noticed
now: I sent three mails yesterday - two with 5MB attachments and one with
2MB. One of them got delivered to the recipient's mailbox, but the other two
are just lingering in the spool table with message_state root - which means,
that they haven't been processed by the root processor - since yesterday
afternoon. So I'll try the current CVS and see if the're gonna be processed.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas

RE: message size limit

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Don't say I said so ;-) but so do we.

Re: message size limit

Posted by Thomas Jachmann <ho...@gmx.de>.

RE: message size limit

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Thomas,

Re: message size limit

Posted by Thomas Jachmann <ho...@gmx.de>.
> is there anything in the logfiles, spoolmanager.log, smtpserver.log,
> mailet.log, connections.log, or any of the others that refers to your
mail?
spoolmanager.log doesn't contain anything special, the last entry in
smtpserver.log is the DATA command sent by my client and James.Mailet.log
contains ToProcessor: Sending mail ... to transport - nothing special,
really - it just seems to hang when the mail is too big. Oh, wait - while
I'm typing, I see that all was my mistake. I didn't think that transferring
a mail of 5MB could take more than 2-3 minutes on a 100MB/s LAN. So I
interrupted the connection after a few minutes, because JAMES seemed to hang
completely, since it didn't respond to anything, neither pop nor smtp
requests from other clients. But it actually takes 20 minutes and after
that, JAMES acts like usual. Sorry for bothering you.

Regards,
Thomas

RE: message size limit

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> OK, this was the solution to the error message, thank you. I now wanted to
> test by sending a Mail with 5MB internally (from internal account to
> internal account), but it hangs. The whole james server stops responding.
> Any suggestions?

is there anything in the logfiles, spoolmanager.log, smtpserver.log,
mailet.log, connections.log, or any of the others that refers to your mail?

James will either use JavaMail to "send" it to itself using SMTP or will
place it in the spool, I'm not sure which.

I'm assuming you have created users, your config is OK (you've set the
important parameters), and you can telnet to localhost 25

d.

Re: message size limit

Posted by Thomas Jachmann <ho...@gmx.de>.

RE: message size limit

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
this isn't directly a James issue, check your my.ini (or my.cnf) settings,
and change (or add) this line (under the [mysqld] section):

set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
to something like
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M
restart MySQL

MySQL will now accept 16M instead of the default 1M

d.