Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Deepth Dinesan <de...@rediffmail.com> on 2002/05/08 16:06:40 UTC

License

Hello,

That would mean that I wouldnt be able to use AXIS (or Suns
JAX-RPC ) for commercial purpose until the final release is out
and
AXIS passes the TCK .

Thanks
Deepth

The Apache license permits you to use Axis pretty much any way you
want to,
but Axis is still beta, and by definition, it's not intended for
commercial
use.

I'm just repeating Sun's policy on the release of *products*
containing a
Java API (any package called java.xxx or javax.xxx). A Java API
implementor
can't release a final product containing a Java API until it
passes the TCK
for that API, and the TCK isn't available until the API
specification is
final. This restriction applies to any implementor, including
Apache. The
Axis final release won't be available until the JAX-RPC API is
final and
Axis passes the TCK.

Anne

  The license restriction is defined by Sun and the JCP --
Apache
  Axis is a  beta implementation of the JAX-RPC API, and hence the
distribution must
  also  reference the JCP license. Apache cannot release a final
release of Axis
   until the JAX-RPC API is complete and Axis passes the JAX-RPC
TCK tests.
   (Apache must license the TCK from Sun.) Once that's done,
then
  Apache Axis could be used in commercial products in accordance
with the Apache
  license.

In regards to Tomcat, Sun elected to build the reference
implementation at
Apache, so Apache has full rights to Tomcat and the TCK. The same
is true
for Crimson. As far as I know, Apache has never had to pay Sun to
license a
TCK. But the TCK licensing issue is the reason that J2EE open
source
implementations, such as JBoss and the old Lutris Enhydra app
servers were
never J2EE licensed implementations.

There was a recent change to the JCP bylaws that now provide
special
provisions (i.e., free) for a non-profit organization to license a
TCK.

Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or
Abroad
http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs