Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/26 08:48:40 UTC

New address book

Hello folks, Sebastian,

I suggest the new concept for openmeetings. This is not a real innovation,
just a copy of a newer thing than before.

We will implement a new address book for openmeetings which  looks like
android address book. I'm writing this to collect your feedback before we
start coding.

Basicly we add all other contacts below those who already participates in
the conference. When one drugs and drops offline contact on the board the
invitation to join the conference is sent via specified channels including
mail and jabber. For touch interfaces left-to-right gesture on the contact
does the thing (this already works on my Android). Yes, we start adopting
the thing for windows 8 pad experience (and get ubuntu pad working as
well).

All offline contacts are hidden in a tab by default, so the default look
resembles the one we have now.

The new book will be available in an iframe and will use wicket.
Android-like call animations will be implemented on the top of jquery (and
maybe  some other lib in the middle).

Separating the book from the board is another srep in our gradual flash to
html5 transition.

After we  do basics, further ideas include the following improvements.

It will likely require a lightweight http-tunnelled jabber to be
implemented on openmeetings side (likely as an independently developed
apache licensed component jar - independency on the build level will help
better reuse and testing) to add jabber transport for address book
invitations. This can help migrating the whole chat to jabber, so
openmeetings chat will integrate to different im networks. The whole thing
would help to light a green light for thise who are online and distribute
invitation urls to tgem via different im networks.

Some other ideas include importing contacts by ldap, from google and social
networks, managing duplicates.
Some "special users" do more on receiving invitation. They automatically
turn on camera and join the meeting. This effectively turns openmeetings
into video survilliance system. :-) Yet some people may take advance of
placing cameras in a cafeteria.

Re: New address book

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Peter,

Each user will have its own address book. If server administrator has
configured ldap import, a user gets some corporate contacts by default. His
personal contacts and social network contacts do not transfer to other user
books automatically.

One more thing to add: offline users are sorted by default using "last
contacted" field-this means favorites are on the top.

Re: New address book

Posted by Peter Dähn <da...@vcrp.de>.
Hello everybody,

Re: New address book