Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/07/10 00:32:06 UTC

feature freeze

I just discovered I have to deal with something over the next few days
that's going to take me offline.  Plus I start my new job on Monday.  I
have the following in various states of completion:

- 64bit cleanup, we're still debating it (I don't really care much about it,
    I just want to get rid of the warnings)

- directory_walk optimization

- mod_cgi cleanup, and hopefully fixing the "user stops transfer, but cgi
    keeps running" bug

- child_main tweaks and exponential spawning model (these are what you
    would call "optimizing for benchmarks"; the first is a pure
    optimization, the second is something that means we don't have to
    worry about brain-dead reporters doing lame-ass reviews without
    pre-tuning the server).

And I had planned to start these this week:

- reliable piped logs

- cleaner support in buff.c for mmaped files -- essentially using writev()
    earlier so that we don't have to copy any data around in userspace.
    Once this is done a mod_mmap.c can be written which handles */*...
    mod_mmap will require tuning/tweaking on each operating system, so
    I'm not planning it to be part of the standard set initially...
    I just want the support in the core that it needs.

Can I have an extension for these until Aug 15th?  Release 1.3b1 on
schedule, there'll probably be enough bug fixes to deal with for just the
NT stuff to make it worthwhile.

>From a performance point of view I think we want the above things in there
so that we start kicking butt in reviews; the other half of doing well on
reviews is the gui work... and I'm not sure how it fits into the schedule.

Dean