Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by anuhbava <an...@aol.com> on 2011/03/18 05:18:31 UTC

network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

I have setup network of brokers exactly as per this post of Bruce Snyder:
http://bsnyderblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-use-automatic-failover-in.html:

Broker 1:

Broker 2:

I have advisorySupport="false" in the broker tag of both the amq*.xml and
started all the brokers.

Then I started the consumer using command:
ant consumer -Durl=tcp://0.0.0.0:61616
and finally started producer using this command:
ant producer -Durl=tcp://0.0.0.0:61617

All the produced messaged then go in pending state on the broker running on
port 61617 and consumer connected on localhost:61616 broker never get the
messages.

Does the network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport
enabled? I thought that was fixed in recent release. (I'm using activemq
5.4.2 release).

Re: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by anuhbava <an...@aol.com>.
Hi Gary,

Many many thanks for taking this issue up and providing a solution to this
problem.

I looked at: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-3253 and attached
test case. I will download the snapshot release tomorrow ET to test my
scenario again.

Once again I really appreciate you spending your valuable time in fixing
this important issue which I hope will be part of AMQ 5.5 release.

cheers,
Anubhava

Re: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
Anubhava,
have a look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-3253 and the
associated test case. You can try the additional config with trunk or
tonight's snapshot. I will allow temp destinations to propagate a
network and allow the gc of destinations that have just network
consumers, which will work for your 'temp' non temporary destinations.

--
http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com

Re: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com

Re: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
if you use:
  session.createQueue("ID:ReplyDest.host-client-queue-" + new Date());
it will be a tempq, tied to a connection or possible to delete through
the javax.jms.TemporaryQueue#delete, and should still be usable from a
consumer.

Take a peek at the source:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/trunk/activemq-core/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/ActiveMQSession.java?view=markup

If you decide to use a real destination, check out
http://activemq.apache.org/delete-inactive-destinations.html

http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com

Re: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
Interesting, the prefix "ID:" denotes a temp queue, it is generated
from the default connection id scheme. The consumer is doing a check
based on the connection id, it throws the exception because foo does
not match the auto generated connection id.

>From the code, it looks like there is a way around this,
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnectionFactory#setClientIDPrefix

The default prefix is "ID:<hostName>, if you set it to
ID:ReplyDest.<hostname>, all of your connections and temp destinations
will match a wild card "ID:ReplyDest.>" for inclusion in a statically
included destination, but will also match their connection ids, so
creating consumers will work ok.

> on regular queues
When you use "temp.foo" you are creating a regular queue that is not
tied to a connection.

Correct, if the reply queue is shared, you will need to use a selector
based on correlation id.

Have a read of http://trenaman.blogspot.com/2009/01/message-selectors-and-activemq.html
for insights into the use of selectors.

http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com

Re: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by anuhbava <an...@aol.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
correct, networking the dynamically created and named temp queues
require advisories.

First note that advisories are typically fine, it is only in large
networks with many dynamic consumers that the advisory overhead is
significant.

There are two possible workarounds for request reply when advisories
are disabled.
The first is to use named temp queues via
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQSession#createQueue where names that start
with "ID:" are temporary.
The second is to use regular queues for reply processing. Using
regular queues gives the option to use persistent replies if you want
to deterministically process replies.
In both cases, the reply destination names will need to be included in
staticallyIncludedDestinations.

It would be nice if it was possible to create a wildcard statically
included destination for all temp queues, but the current naming
convention will not facilitate that.
With s suitable prefix (say "REPLY.") for you named temp queue or

http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com

Re: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by anuhbava <an...@aol.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
thanks for closing the loop.

http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com

Re: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by anuhbava <an...@aol.com>.
Thank you very much Gary.

Including this config:

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com

RE: network of broker stop forwarding messages without advisorySupport enabled

Posted by Michael La Budde <pa...@hotmail.com>.
I believe dynamic broker network topologies require advisorySupport to be enabled; as you can see here:

http://activemq.apache.org/advisory-message.html