Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Roshanak Afsarifard <ra...@actuate.com> on 2013/03/28 20:20:48 UTC

Question about Kafka code contribution guidelines

Dear Kafka development team,

    First of all thank you for all your efforts on Kafka. We are considering using Kafka in our software.
In order to do so, we need your help to understand the processes in place to manage Intellectual Property, code ownership, and provenance in this project.

Can you please answer the following questions:

1.       What is the process to make someone a committer to this project, with the ability to checkin code to this project? Does the person have to agree to a certain terms of use? If so please point me to the terms of use document.

2.       Did all the people who contributed code agree to contribute code under the existing license?

3.       Outside the committers, how are code contributions from the community accepted? Do external code contributors have to accept the same terms as above, before their code is integrated into the project?

4.       Does anyone else have rights to the code that has been contributed to this project?

Thank you in advance.

Roshanak Afsarifard
Director, Engineering
Actuate Corporation
2207 Bridgepointe Parkway, Suite 500
San Mateo, CA  94404
Tel: (650) 645-3913                          Fax: (650) 645-3700
Email: rafsarifard@actuate.com<ma...@actuate.com>   www.actuate.com<http://www.actuate.com/>

Re: Question about Kafka code contribution guidelines

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
All committers have to file the following agreement:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

Contributor submits patches to a jira. The patches will be reviewed and if
accepted, they will be checked in by a committer. If a contributor makes
significant contribution, he/she will be nominated as a committer.

All contributed code has the Apache license.

Thanks,

Jun