Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au> on 2006/05/24 23:27:35 UTC

Node.get(Input|Output)Stream... why?

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> You can implement a custom NodeFactory which returns custom Node objects.
> You don't even have to use sources but can implement arbitrary node
> classes, e.g. Node.getInputStream() and Node.getOutputStream() can
> use arbitrary files to store the content, depending on the source URI.
Why does a node have to use InputStream and OutputStream? I can
understand it is ideal for File IO, but if you were to implement a
different repository, would it be possible to create a RepositorySource
which returned XML documents directly to cocoon?

Michael R

Re: Node.get(Input|Output)Stream... why?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Michael Ralston wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>> You can implement a custom NodeFactory which returns custom Node
>>> objects.
>>> You don't even have to use sources but can implement arbitrary node
>>> classes, e.g. Node.getInputStream() and Node.getOutputStream() can
>>> use arbitrary files to store the content, depending on the source URI.
>>
>> Why does a node have to use InputStream and OutputStream? I can
>> understand it is ideal for File IO,
>

> well, I think Input/OutputStream is very generic and doesn't imply that
> the data
> needs to come from the FS.

I agree. On the level of the repository API, the framework shouldn't care
if it handles XML data or binary data. There were some discussions which
showed that the general opinion is that all kinds of data should be treated
in the same way.

> Also see
>
> https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/yarep/trunk/src/examples/java/org/wyona/yarep/examples
>

>> but if you were to implement a different repository, would it be
>> possible to create a RepositorySource which returned XML documents
>> directly to cocoon?
>

> a utility class/method would certainly be handy

You can use for instance

   DocumentHelper.readDocument(InputStream)
   DocumentHelper.writeDocument(Document, OutputStream)

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: Node.get(Input|Output)Stream... why?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Michael Ralston wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> You can implement a custom NodeFactory which returns custom Node
>> objects.
>> You don't even have to use sources but can implement arbitrary node
>> classes, e.g. Node.getInputStream() and Node.getOutputStream() can
>> use arbitrary files to store the content, depending on the source URI.
>
> Why does a node have to use InputStream and OutputStream? I can
> understand it is ideal for File IO,

well, I think Input/OutputStream is very generic and doesn't imply that
the data
needs to come from the FS. Also see

https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/yarep/trunk/src/examples/java/org/wyona/yarep/examples

> but if you were to implement a different repository, would it be
> possible to create a RepositorySource which returned XML documents
> directly to cocoon?

a utility class/method would certainly be handy

Michi

> Michael R

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61