Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> on 2015/02/05 18:49:31 UTC

Erratic Jenkins behavior

I am sure many of us have seen strange jenkins behavior out of the precommit builds.

- build artifacts missing
- serving build artifact belonging to another build. This also causes wrong precommit results to be posted on the bug.
- etc.

The latest one I saw is disappearance of the unit test stdout/stderr file during a build. After a successful run of unit tests, the file vanished, so the script could not cat it. It looked like another build process had deleted it, while this build was in progress.

It might have something to do with the fact that the patch-dir is set like following:

PATCHPROCESS=/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/PreCommit-HDFS-Build/../patchprocessI don't have access to the jenkins build configs or the build machines, so I can't debug it further, but I think we need to take care of it sooner than later.  Can any one help?

Kihwal

Re: Erratic Jenkins behavior

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Sorry I don¹t have much insight into this either. Our Jenkins setup is a
bit of a black box to me.

Too few of us have access to the build hosts and it makes debugging
difficult. Perhaps we should grant access to all committers.

Posted by "Colin P. McCabe" <cm...@apache.org>.
Hmm.  I guess my thought would be that we would have a fixed number of
"slots" (i.e. executors on a single node with associated .m2
directories).  Then we wouldn't clear each .m2 in between runs, but we
would ensure that only one slot at a time had access to each
directory.

In that case, build times wouldn't increase that much (or really at
all, until a dependency changed... right?).  When a dependency changed
we'd have to do O(N_slots) amount of work, but dependencies don't
change that often.

Of course, the current situation also generates a lot of extra work
because people need to rekick builds that failed for mystery reasons.

cheers.
Colin

Posted by "Colin P. McCabe" <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Colin P. McCabe" <cm...@apache.org>.