Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/09/05 07:08:08 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Karaf 2.2x, 2.3.x and Spring version

Hi all,

as you have certainly seen, we have an issue with Karaf 2.2.3 and Camel.
In Karaf 2.2.3, we upgraded to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE, whereas Camel still
uses Spring 3.0.5.RELEASE.
As Spring is major component for CXF, Camel, etc. So, we should
"address" a Spring update with a lot of attention.

I propose:
- to rollback Spring to 3.0.5.RELEASE in Karaf 2.2.x.
- to create a Karaf 2.3.x branch, exactly a copy of 2.2.x, but with
update to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE
- in both branches, we add all Spring features to cover all Spring
bundles. We have few issues to fix in both branches and I propose to
release 2.2.4 and 2.3.0 soon.
- update Karaf 3.0.x (trunk) to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE

WDYT ?

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf 2.2x, 2.3.x and Spring version

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
As long as we do not need a 2.3 branch I can live with every solution :-)

Kind regards Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 Same as Andreas.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday, September 05, 2011 8:51:07 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
> I'm agree Andreas.
>
> It's exactly the purpose of Cave: to be able to decouple some "features"
> (like Spring*) from the core and the distribution.
>
> However, Cave is not fully ready, so we have to find a way waiting Cave.
>
> I can see two:
> 1/ stay with Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE in 2.2.x branch, and provide the
> Spring* features (I'm working on it). As Freeman said, it might work
> even if it's not the target version for Camel 2.8.1. It also means that
> "previous" Camel versions (like 2.7.x or 2.8.0) don't work with Karaf 2.2.3.
> 2/ rollback to Spring 3.0.5.RELEASE, and release Karaf 2.2.4 (and
> following) with this Spring version.
>
> To be honest, I would prefer 2 as it means that Camel 2.7.x, 2.8.x and
> CXF 2.4.x won't work starting from Karaf 2.2.3.

As an FYI:  CXF 2.4.3 will be going to Spring 3.0.6.

It's a PATCH release, not even a minor point update.   Thus, it should be
nearly a no-brainer for projects to updat to it.

Thus, I'm all for keeping karaf 2.2.x on 3.0.6.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
+1 same as andreas :)

Achim

2011/9/5 Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>:
> +1 to option 2 and do not release 3.0 before we've fixed this problem. I do
> not like the idea that we've to be afraid breaking projects by upgrading
> micro-versions of third-party-software in micro Karaf releases...
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 08:51, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm agree Andreas.
>>
>> It's exactly the purpose of Cave: to be able to decouple some "features"
>> (like Spring*) from the core and the distribution.
>>
>> However, Cave is not fully ready, so we have to find a way waiting Cave.
>>
>> I can see two:
>> 1/ stay with Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE in 2.2.x branch, and provide the Spring*
>> features (I'm working on it). As Freeman said, it might work even if it's
>> not the target version for Camel 2.8.1. It also means that "previous" Camel
>> versions (like 2.7.x or 2.8.0) don't work with Karaf 2.2.3.
>> 2/ rollback to Spring 3.0.5.RELEASE, and release Karaf 2.2.4 (and
>> following) with this Spring version.
>>
>> To be honest, I would prefer 2 as it means that Camel 2.7.x, 2.8.x and CXF
>> 2.4.x won't work starting from Karaf 2.2.3.
>>
>> So +1 for 2.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>

>> On 09/05/2011 08:23 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>>
>>> TBH I'm not happy that we can't upgrade a micro version of a referenced
>>> library in a micro release of karaf. TBH I would rather prefer staying
>>> with
>>> 3.0.5 for the entire 2.x branch than keeping 2.3 for a micro dep upgrade.
>>>
>>> In addition we should learn from this and completely remove all features
>>> from karaf. Even http, spring wrapper... Those should be maintained by the
>>> karaf team but not distributed in karaf core. They could be loaded from a
>>> cave repo or from any other method we've discussed in the last time.
>>> Because
>>> of this situation I think it is very important that we get rid of the
>>> problem in 3.0 for once and all.
>>>
>>> Knd regards Andreas

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> jbonofre@apache.org
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf 2.2x, 2.3.x and Spring version

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I'm agree Andreas.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.