Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> on 2004/09/18 15:57:22 UTC

Re: svn commit: r11031 - branches/1.1.x

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 17:23, maxb@tigris.org wrote:
> +  * r11030:
> +    Fix --enable-maintainer-mode builds on OS X with new XCode.
> +    Justification:
> +      Tiny fix, avoids build breakage, affects --enable-maintainer-mode only.
> +      Can go in without a resoak.

It can?  I don't think build changes are covered by any of the
exceptions in HACKING.  (Nor should they be; a broken build change could
really put a damper on a user's first experience.)

Re: svn commit: r11031 - branches/1.1.x

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 12:07, Max Bowsher wrote:
> It's a tiny change, and restricted to an --enable-maintainer-mode codepath
> anyway.

"It's a tiny change" is good enough for not restarting the soak during
the first three weeks, but not for the last week.

"It's restricted to --enable-maintainer-mode" is a nice theory, but if,
say, there was a bash-dependency in the patch which caused parsing to
fail in some shells, it could affect everyone.  The only kind of change
we can be sure is restricted to a certain class of users is a change to
files which are only used by that class of users (e.g. we can be pretty
certain that changes to files under "bindings" will only affect users of
the bindings).

Re: svn commit: r11031 - branches/1.1.x

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 17:23, maxb@tigris.org wrote:
>> +  * r11030:
>> +    Fix --enable-maintainer-mode builds on OS X with new XCode.
>> +    Justification:
>> +      Tiny fix, avoids build breakage, affects --enable-maintainer-mode
>> only. +      Can go in without a resoak.
>
> It can?  I don't think build changes are covered by any of the
> exceptions in HACKING.  (Nor should they be; a broken build change could
> really put a damper on a user's first experience.)

It's a tiny change, and restricted to an --enable-maintainer-mode codepath
anyway.

It's not vital that it go in, but it seems harmless to me. But maybe strict
adherence to HACKING makes it require a resoak anyway? Hmm. Ok

Max.