Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "Horst H.G.Weber" <we...@forwiss.tu-muenchen.de> on 1998/07/24 19:09:54 UTC

general/2701: Test launch of apache fails with fatal ld.so error

>Number:         2701
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Test launch of apache fails with fatal ld.so error
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
After compilation and installation I tried to test the new httpd with
'apachectl start' as described in the docs. But the launch failed with this
error msg:

Syntax error on line 26 of /home/proj/www-1/Apache/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /home/proj/www-1/Apache/libexec/mod_env.so into server: ld.so.1: /home/proj/www-1/Apache/sbin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file /home/proj/www-1/Apache/libexec/mod_env.so: symbol ap_palloc: referenced symbol not found
../../sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

This line 26 is just the default entry:
LoadModule env_module         libexec/mod_env.so

Compiling the daemon with mod_env statically linked in (and the above line
commented out) just let it fail on the next module (mod_log_config.so), this
time with "symbol ap_psprintf: referenced symbol not found".

So -- what did I miss?
As far as I figured it out, these functions live in libmain.a, and it is called
by the linker. So everything should be in its place...

>How-To-Repeat:
I have repeated it now for several times. Next thing would be to try it on a
different machine (but that's currently not available for me).

So, try:

configure --prefix=/bla --enable-module=most --enable-shared=max
make
make install
cd <to Apache-sbin-dir>
apachectl start

At least it does it for me.
>Fix:
Currently -- no. I will try to create a version without DSO suppport.