Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/17 09:30:20 UTC

Re: Groovy not allowed to include its "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License" licensed documentation in the distribution?

Le 17/06/15 09:14, Pascal Schumacher a écrit :
> Hello everybody,
>
> from this discussion and
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-167 I deduct, that Groovy
> can not include its "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
> Unported License" licensed documentation in the distribution. Is that
> correct?

Pascal,

this is a discussion we are having right at the moment between mentors.
Thanks for bringing it here.

The thing is that it's unclear, and thus the best way to get out of this
lack of clarity is to get rid of CC-BY-SA-3.0 licensed file.

It seems like Cédric said at one point that he was considering changing
the license for the documentation (from CC-BY_SA-3.0 to AL 2.0) and that
would be the best move, IMO.

Note that this question has been raised early in the process of
incubating Groovy, and I made a mistake stating that keeping these files
with this license "seems correct".

Jim suggested that the doco could be packaged separately from Groovy but
that would probably mean a lot of work to separate the doco files from
teh trunk, AFAICT...

Thoughts ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 17/06/15 12:19, Marvin Humphrey a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 17/06/15 09:14, Pascal Schumacher a écrit :
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> from this discussion and
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-167 I deduct, that Groovy
>>> can not include its "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
>>> Unported License" licensed documentation in the distribution. Is that
>>> correct?
>> Pascal,
>>
>> this is a discussion we are having right at the moment between mentors.
>> Thanks for bringing it here.
> In the interest of transparency, I initiated that brief offlist
> exchange less than a day ago, which has been immediately shunted onto
> the public lists at the insistence of one participant (and surely the
> concurrence of all). I am not a Groovy Mentor and wanted to nudge the
> matter forward while allowing those who have taken on that
> responsibility to take the lead.

Thanks Marvin.

I'm a bit sorry that this pb hits Groovy, but we should jump on it and
be sure that it won't occur again for other future podling.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 17/06/15 09:14, Pascal Schumacher a écrit :
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> from this discussion and
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-167 I deduct, that Groovy
>> can not include its "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
>> Unported License" licensed documentation in the distribution. Is that
>> correct?
>
> Pascal,
>
> this is a discussion we are having right at the moment between mentors.
> Thanks for bringing it here.

In the interest of transparency, I initiated that brief offlist
exchange less than a day ago, which has been immediately shunted onto
the public lists at the insistence of one participant (and surely the
concurrence of all). I am not a Groovy Mentor and wanted to nudge the
matter forward while allowing those who have taken on that
responsibility to take the lead.

Marvin Humphrey