Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Chris Dollin <ch...@epimorphics.com> on 2015/05/18 14:55:44 UTC

jena-spatial

(Just back from a week's hols and catching up ...)

So Stephen

Do I gather from Jena 848 and your email on 8th? May [1] that UNLESS
we can ensure that only one query is being handled at a time it would
be ... unwise ... to use jena-spatial as it stands [2]?

I understand there would be a performance hit if we did this (because
of multiple index opening/closing-s) but other than that would it
be safe?

[I'm pressing on this because if possible we'd like to decouple our
  project from ongoing jena development and I'm making sure we understand
  the options.]

Chris

[1] In the back-at-work cleanup I appear to have misdeleted your message
     and hence can only refer to it not quote it ...

[2] ie without revamping the transaction handling

--
"If I were you, I would go to the crackpots."           /They Shall Have Stars/

Epimorphics Ltd, http://www.epimorphics.com
Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High Street, Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT
Epimorphics Ltd. is a limited company registered in England (number 7016688)

Re: jena-spatial

Posted by Stephen Allen <sa...@apache.org>.
Yes, if you are doing updates to the Lucene index while performing reads at
the same time with the current jena-spatial code, you will eventually run
into an "AlreadyClosedException: this IndexWriter is closed".  This will
then leave the indexes in a non-safe state because they will get our of
sync.

The best way forward is probably to combine both projects into one as they
are very similar and duplicate a lot of code currently.  If I have some
time soon I will try to take a look at it (but no promises that I will have
the time!).  Previous email available at [1].

-Stephen

[1] http://markmail.org/message/6uab6glusw7lqpmz