Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> on 2004/06/09 04:39:55 UTC

Re: SOAP streaming and faults, security everywhere and performance implications

Aleksander Slominski wrote:

> maybe we need SSOAP?

Look at what UPnP1.0 did for their work; they needed the ability to
stream a 400 page doc with inline images to a printer.

> IMHO as business and scientific worlds converges on Web services and
> Grids those distinctions are blurred.

oh, are we converging :)

> for example one of the most important requirements for grid services (if
> not the most important ...) is to have security.
>
> in current WS world security has serious impact on performance (like one
> order of magnitude slower for WSS and even more when you start doing SSO
> with capabilities ....).
>
> so the time of simple non secure and non reliable SOAP messages may be
> going away but i hope it will not require more and more complex WS-*
> specs that are harder and harder to understand and work with (WSS and
> WS-Policy comes to mind ....).
>
> alek

I am sitting in a WS-RF meeting as I write this. Complexity is rushing
towards us. Soon the "simplicity" of SOAP will be a distant memory :(

-steve