Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Clive Webster <cl...@inbrand.co.uk> on 2007/06/25 22:55:10 UTC

Windows Native lib

Have spent the last 8 hours trying to work out how to use the 'native'
library for Tomcat 5.5.23 - without any success.

Have managed to download lots of C++ source code - which is useless since I
don't have an MS C++ compiler and don't want to buy one as I live in a Java
world not a C++ world !!!

Further digging revealed binaries for 'tcnative-1.dll'  and 'openssl.exe'
but having put these onto my PATH then I no longer get the warning re not
using the native stuff but instead I get:-

SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint
java.lang.Exception: Socket bind failed: [730047] An address incompatible
with the requested protocol was used.
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint.init(AprEndpoint.java:576)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol.init(Http11AprProtocol.java:116)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initialize(Connector.java:1017)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:578
)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:782)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:504)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:524)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:267)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)

Have Googled error code 730047 and got 3 answers (including 2 in Japanese) -
no help there.

Does anyone know how to make this work? (Sorry - not meant to sound rude,
but am starting to get a bit frustrated having gone round in circles for a
day!).

Apologies if the answer is 'obvious' but have searched FAQs etc etc  to no
end. Small point - but since the 'native lib' is much hyped in the docs then
why is it so bloomin hard to find a download for it that is deployable !!
Got Tomcat itself working in a few minutes.

All help greatfully received.

RE: Windows Native lib

Posted by Clive Webster <cl...@inbrand.co.uk>.
Steve,

I appreciate it 'works without it' - but not a good sales line ie "we aren't
sure what it does, probably some technical stuff, but we can't figure it
out".

A Ferrari works quite well as a pedal car without an engine!

Ouch!!

But then if everyone who has made it work says 'it makes no difference' to a
live site then I'll eat my hat (in the absence of a Ferrari!).

On 25 Jun 2007 at 21:55, Clive Webster wrote:

> Have spent the last 8 hours trying to work out how to use the 'native'
> library for Tomcat 5.5.23 - without any success.

I hope you realize that you don't *have* to use it.

Re: Windows Native lib

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.

RE: Windows Native lib

Posted by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com>.
Okay, I am glad that 1.1.7-ipv4 is working.  1.1.9 would have worked
with the "address=0.0.0.0"
attribute since it is the IPv6 version.  A README file in
http://tomcat.heanet.ie/native/
would have been helpful.

IPv4 is the 32 bit IP address of a device(computer, router etc.), for
example 192.1.1.1.
Since the world is running out of IPv4 addresses, IPv6 is the new
standard with 128 bit address space.
http://www.ipv6.org/
>From your mail, it seems you are on IPv4, so you don't have to worry
about IPv6.

Yes, the Tomcat folks could have done a little more on APR
documentation.

I spent a few days unravelling everything on all 3 OS - Windows,
Solaris, Linux.
Everything had to work in my organization - HTTPS and HTTP transport
over both IPv4 and IPv6 on all the 3 OS. So I documented my experience
in the posting "Tomcat 5.5, APR, IPv6, HTTP and HTTPS".

I was hoping either Mark Thomas or Mladen Turk would comment on my post,
update some document or delve into why 1.1.10 gives the errors that are
not present when any of the earlier versions were used.  But there was
no discussion on this thread and I have moved on with my working
combination.

Lakshmi

RE: Windows Native lib

RE: Windows Native lib

RE: Windows Native lib

RE: Windows Native lib

RE: Windows Native lib

Posted by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com>.

RE: Windows Native lib

Posted by Clive Webster <cl...@inbrand.co.uk>.
Nathan,

Here's a size 8 foot... ;-)

Yep: already seen that link which reports a [730048] error, which is close
to my [730047] error - but not quite!

Only have a single instance running (not as a service for now - but via
'startup.bat') and if I remove the dll from ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin (which is
on my PATH) and restart Tomcat then, apart from the native lib warning,
everything works fine using a WAR that has been running on Tomcat 5.0 for
two years-ish.

RE: Windows Native lib

RE: Windows Native lib

RE: Windows Native lib