Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hehl, Thomas" <Th...@acs-inc.com> on 2007/08/22 14:56:32 UTC

URL mangling

I have two ways of running my webapp. One is your basic webapp where tomcat
answers the responses directly. The second runs security software the
forwards the requests to another tomcat instance. This second version was
mandated by our clients.

The second version is brand new to us and I'm now faced with the possibility
of having to update every JSP in our app so that form actions, images,
references to style sheets, etc. all point to a mangled URL that runs
through the security software instead of going at it directly. Relative
paths are of no use in this instance.

So now I'm trying to see if there's a way to mangle these urls dynamically
on the security server instead so that I can use the same JSP for
everything. I tried using a filter, but that works ONLY for the actual
request itself. Filters evidently don't see requests for images or
stylesheets, etc.

Any ideas? I was wondering if some sort of valve would be useful.

Thanks.

Thom Hehl
Sr. eJuror Architect

* Office (859) 277-8800 x 144

* Thomas.Hehl@acs-inc.com <ma...@acs-inc.com>
ACS, Inc.

Government Solutions

1733 Harrodsburg Road
Lexington, KY 40504-3617

by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and notify
sender via e-mail at Thomas.Hehl@acs-inc.com
<ma...@acs-inc.com>  or by telephone at 859-277-8800 ext. 144.
Thank you.

Re: URL mangling

Posted by Ben Souther <be...@souther.us>.
> So now I'm trying to see if there's a way to mangle these urls dynamically
> on the security server instead so that I can use the same JSP for
> everything. I tried using a filter, but that works ONLY for the actual
> request itself. Filters evidently don't see requests for images or
> stylesheets, etc.

Filters see whatever their mappings tell them to see.
The url-mapping for filters works the same way as it does for servlets.
What mapping are you using?