Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by janI <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/03/13 00:12:51 UTC

[announce] l10n genLang and po files for languages.

Hi.

For those interested in po files and the l10n process, the following is a
short status.

genLang can now extract all texts from our sources correctly and handles
.po files. genLang has also a mode (convert) where it can read "old" po
file and convert them to new format. My next step is to enhance the convert
function a bit, and then start on the source generation with languages (all
prepared).

All sources are in svn in branches/l10n/l10ntools/source/gC* and gL*

I have also (with big help from jsc) collected all our languages, and found
a couple of strange things:
- Some languages was only present in pootle, and not used in our build
process
- Some languages was only present as sdf files (in extras) and not in
pottle (manual translation??)
- Many po/sdf files contained entries no longer used in our source files.

This is all cleaned, and you can find the total set of langauge po files in:
   branches/l10n/l10ntools/lang
there you can also see the new po file structure (a lot less files).

We need slowly to start thinking about how to test and integrate the new
tools.

have a nice evening.
rgds
jan I.

Re: [announce] l10n genLang and po files for languages.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 13/03/2013 janI wrote:
> This is all cleaned, and you can find the total set of langauge po files in:
>     branches/l10n/l10ntools/lang
> there you can also see the new po file structure (a lot less files).

Thank you Jan, this is really a milestone achievement!

The consolidation of PO files and the new processes will be a great
simplification of the translation workflow.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [announce] l10n genLang and po files for languages.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,

On 3/13/13 12:12 AM, janI wrote:
> Hi.
>
> For those interested in po files and the l10n process, the following is a
> short status.
>
> genLang can now extract all texts from our sources correctly and handles
> .po files. genLang has also a mode (convert) where it can read "old" po
> file and convert them to new format. My next step is to enhance the convert
> function a bit, and then start on the source generation with languages (all
> prepared).
>
> All sources are in svn in branches/l10n/l10ntools/source/gC* and gL*
>
> I have also (with big help from jsc) collected all our languages, and found
> a couple of strange things:
> - Some languages was only present in pootle, and not used in our build
> process
> - Some languages was only present as sdf files (in extras) and not in
> pottle (manual translation??)
> - Many po/sdf files contained entries no longer used in our source files.
>
> This is all cleaned, and you can find the total set of langauge po files in:
>    branches/l10n/l10ntools/lang
> there you can also see the new po file structure (a lot less files).
>
> We need slowly to start thinking about how to test and integrate the new
> tools.

that are really great news, it's good to see that you make such good
progress. And even better the outlook that we will become a cleaner and
better maintained workflow in the future and cleaned up translation
files. Let me know if and how I can continue to support you.

Juergen