Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com> on 2002/07/27 17:40:37 UTC

Avalon-related slowdown ? (was Re: Performance problem XSP after April 20)

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
>>
>>Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>>>Chris,
>>>
>>>What you use to measure time?
>>>
>>>I timed executing of simple.xsp in Cocoon "-D 20020420" and in Cocoon 2.0.4-dev with the "for() time wget", and compared time reported by the Cocoon in access.log.
>>>
>>>After factoring out additional complexities in excalibur code
>>>(responsible for 8-9% performance loss), results were *identical*.
>>>

>>Vadim, can you explain what are these additional complexities ? Is the
>>current version 8% slower because of changes of changes in excalibur ?
>>

>Ok, after second look, seems that these complexities are present in both
>versions, which means that old version also can go at least 9% faster.
>May be there are some other changes. Will take another look later.
>

>About complexity itself: I'm referring to this particular change in
>DefaultComponentFactory:
>
>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/src/java/org/
>apache/avalon/excalibur/component/Attic/DefaultComponentFactory.java.dif
>f?r1=1.10&r2=1.11&diff_format=h
>
>Addition of
>
>  private final Collection       m_unreleased = new ArrayList();
>
>slows down Cocoon from 8% (dynamic page) to something around 20% (page
>from cache).

Wow ! That's really bad :(

Is the new container in Avalon faster ? Do we need to plan the switch to
this new container in 2.1 ?

Berin, can you please answer this question ?

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

RE: Avalon-related slowdown ? (was Re: Performance problem XSP after April 20)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
> From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
>
>slows down Cocoon from 8% (dynamic page) to something around 20% (page
>from cache).

Wow ! That's really bad :(

Is the new container in Avalon faster ? Do we need to plan the switch to

this new container in 2.1 ?

Berin, can you please answer this question ?

Actually yes there is!  I even wrote it, with the help of my fellow
Avaloners.  Fortress is the name of the new higher performance
Container.
On tests Fortress is at least 15 times as fast (1500% faster) than
ECM.  It also has some experimental support for lifecycle extensions.

Work is continuing on it, we are trying to fit in some of the more
robust meta-info facilities from Merlin, because Avalon is trying to
standardize on one way of expressing meta-information.

Currently, Fortress should be considered an almost defacto standard
replacment for ECM.  It supports Poolable, Factory, ThreadSafe, and
a new default: PerThread component lifestyles.

The RoleManager markup is slightly different, and all components are
at a root level.  It gives us the flexibility of grabbing a default
component directly, or going through the selector.  If you want more
info, let me know.  The URL is here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/fortress/index.html