Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by João Saleiro <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/20 17:56:53 UTC

What happened to mx.controls in Flex 4.9.1

Hello,

I am trying to compile an existing application with Flex 4.9.1 overlayed
with Air 3.6. I am getting errors in all mx.controls components, namely
mx.controls.ColorPicker and mx.controls.Alert .
I did the following:

1- Installed the installer
2- Downloaded all packages with the installer
3- Downloaded Air 3.6 SDK from
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/air-sdk-download-win.html
4- Unzipped the Air SDK on top of the Flex SDK
5- Added the SDK to Flash Builder and changed the project SDK to the new one
6- Changed my descriptor to http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/3.6
7- Tried to compile

When compiling, I'm getting "1046: Type was not found or was not a
compile-time constant: ColorPicker." , and the same for "Alert".

I checked the contents of
C:\bin\flex4.9.1air3.6\frameworks\projects\mx\src\mx\controls and
ColorPicker is there, like all other controls. But the compiler is being
unable to locate them.

Any clue why this is happening?

Thanks,

JS

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Mind undoing that as that I believe has closed the discussion and I'm not able to add anything.

Sorry must of been having a senior moment and couldn't see the "reply" button. No need to change anything.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I just changed Chris' response to Correct (from Helpful) so it shows immediately below the question. (One of the perks of being a moderator on Adobe's forums…) ;-)

Mind undoing that as that I believe has closed the discussion and I'm not able to add anything.

There's a new version of Air 3.7 on labs but looks like it still doesn't support Apache Flex. :-(

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Justin. Good work! :-)

I just changed Chris' response to Correct (from Helpful) so it shows immediately below the question. (One of the perks of being a moderator on Adobe's forums…) ;-)

Harbs

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
+1

Thanks for having managed that :)

-Fred

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Justin Mclean
<ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for everyone who voted and made some noise about AIR 3.7. Chris has
> just posted that Adobe will release a version of AIR 3.7 that is
> compatible
> with Apache Flex when it ships and hopefully a version on labs before
> then.
>
> http://forums.adobe.com/message/5171561#5171561
>
> Justin

Justin, you are awesome :-)  Thanks for pushing this issue and driving the
community up into a frenzy!

And of course, thanks to Adobe for taking this issue seriously and
promising to address it quickly.

Om

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Quoting Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>:

>> Hope anyone on Adobe could remove those doubts from me... but from the
>> outside, it seems they simply are lost and don't know which road to take
>> and why to take it... and it is as if they had lost the business focus.
>>
> I do not expect that seeing Apache Flex succeed is a must-have on Adobe's
> list so if they detect a lack of momentum, I doubt they will increase the
> investment.  We should not worry about Adobe and just keep making progress.

Other than the few Adobe employees working on this project which I
respect all of you and what you do, Adobe doesn't care about Flex, if
they did they wouldn't have let go of it.

Its just another example of where all the cool kids go when they
graduate. Technology is like highschool, it (and its followers and so
called leaders) just boob from one side to the other, never looking
back at their ridiculous trail of tears.

Life doesn't change, it has been this way for 1000's of years, all you
need to do is open a history book.

The things that do change history are small revolutions of limited
resources; which this project has (The Falcon framework).

So... Time will tell if the realists can do anything with this project.

On a final thought, although I can't stand the language, it was "very
nice of Adobe" to donate the Falcon compiler framework. I really do
appreciate that.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/22/13 4:30 AM, "Carlos Velasco" <ca...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sadly, It seems that Adobe final intention is to get FLEX dead in a short
> period of time (as they are not paying the necessary attention to it) and
> they just placed a team working on FLEX to get the community shut up and
> happy.

Well, I can't speak for Adobe, but I see it more like they are an Angel
Investor.  They have seeded Apache Flex with a bunch of code and a small
number of resources and are challenging the community to make something of
it.
> I still don't undersand why killing the technology instead of:
>
> a) Changing the VM to the Javascript one (I hate to tell that, but ...) to
> remain leading Javascript development tools having the best javascript
> framework.
Apache Flex is working on Flex output to JS.

> b) Freeing the AS vm to let FLEX as an alternative technology to Javascript
> (of course much better in my opinion) and so selling tools for both
> technologies...
I'm not sure how we would get an AS VM to run in places where it doesn't
today, but the AS VM itself is open source.  It is the Flash runtime that
isn't.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Carlos.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by After24 <vi...@after24.net>.
Added my vote.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Markus Gritsch <ma...@gmx.de>.
me too,

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Peter HO <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Humberto Sanchez II <hs...@yahoo.com>.
+1

RE: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Sugan Naicker <Su...@Dev-X.co.za>.
Hi,

--
regards,
Roland

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
>> My understanding is that the only problem is that:
>> - flex-config.xml, air-config.xml and airmobile-config.xml files do not
>> include Flex related stuff;
>> - mxmlc.bat (mxmlc on Mac) and compc.bat (compc on Mac) scripts point to ASC
>> 2.0 jars instead of legacy jars.
> It seems like this might be handles by some clever text manipulation
> in the SDK build script(s), IF the legacy jars are still present in
> the distribution... Can anyone confirm that?

Legacy jars are included in the Apache Flex SDK installation and they
are not overwritten when AIR SDK (any kind of bundle) is overlaid on top
of Flex SDK. So, yes, if installer performs AIR SDK overlay skipping
several files - the problem would be solved.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
On 3/22/13 11:08 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

>> My understanding is that the only problem is that:
>> - flex-config.xml, air-config.xml and airmobile-config.xml files do not
>> include Flex related stuff;
>> - mxmlc.bat (mxmlc on Mac) and compc.bat (compc on Mac) scripts point to ASC
>> 2.0 jars instead of legacy jars.
>
> It seems like this might be handles by some clever text manipulation
> in the SDK build script(s), IF the legacy jars are still present in
> the distribution... Can anyone confirm that?
>
> Another option might be to have adopted copies of these files in the SDK repo?

I think we need to add this capability to the installer.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> My understanding is that the only problem is that:
> - flex-config.xml, air-config.xml and airmobile-config.xml files do not
> include Flex related stuff;
> - mxmlc.bat (mxmlc on Mac) and compc.bat (compc on Mac) scripts point to ASC
> 2.0 jars instead of legacy jars.

It seems like this might be handles by some clever text manipulation
in the SDK build script(s), IF the legacy jars are still present in
the distribution... Can anyone confirm that?

Another option might be to have adopted copies of these files in the SDK repo?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Sandro Brasile <in...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the bug

--
*Ing. Sandro Brasile, Ph.D.*
Via Agrigento, snc

Questa comunicazione contiene informazioni confidenziali ed è riservata
esclusivamente ai destinatari.
Se ritenete di averla ricevuta per errore o di non essere il corretto
destinatario, siete pregati di eliminare
il messaggio senza stamparlo, copiarlo, distribuirlo o usare questa
informazione in alcun modo, e di
notificare l'errore al mittente.

This communication contains confidential information and is intended for
the named recipient(s) only.
If you believe that you have received it in error or that you are not the
intended recipient, do not print,
copy, disseminate or use this information in any way, and notify this error
to the sender.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

--
regards,
Roland

RE: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by FRANKLIN GARZON <fg...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks, +1.

Re: Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I added my voice to both the bug report and the forum post.

Is anyone following up on this behind the scenes, or should I try to make some noise myself?

Harbs

Air 3.7 in Apache Flex

Re: What happened to mx.controls in Flex 4.9.1

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
IntelliJ IDEA users can overlay AIR SDK (any version) fully because
IntelliJ doesn't care about flex-config.xml, air-config.xml,
airmobile-config.xml and mxmlc.bat files. Just checked that it works
with Flex SDK (any version) + AIR SDK 3.7.

Alexander

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Added to the Adobe bug base - if you want to vote on it/add to it.

Posted by Terry Corbet <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
I just tried the ColorPicker and Alert, it works for me, could you provide a
sample project ?

Thanks,
-Fred

hehe actually I ran into the exact same issue today, no idea what caused
it, any insight would be pretty nice :)

--
regards,
Roland

Posted by João Saleiro <jo...@gmail.com>.
That's it Alex! I downloaded the generic AIR SDK. My bad!

Problem solved, thanks!

JS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: What happened to mx.controls in Flex 4.9.1

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

--
regards,
Roland