Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Li Li <fa...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/05 06:11:46 UTC

question about incremental backup and cluster replication

hi all,
    in my application, most of the time, we do not write to hbase but
only read. Every a few hours(or even a day), We do a lot of write
operations to hbase intensively. To avoid data lost, we also want
backup our data every day(or week)
    I know hbase has advanced features like backup and cluster
replication. can they solve my problem?
    If I am using traditional rdbms like mysql, I will use
master/slaves cluster. master only service write requests and slave
service read requests. Because my application do not need real time
feature, So I can tolerant latency.  For data safety, I can monthly
full backup all data and incremental backup every day.
    How can I do this in hbase?

Re: question about incremental backup and cluster replication

Posted by Suraj Varma <sv...@gmail.com>.
The answer to "can they solve your problem" is "yes".

For "how to do this", start reading about your options here so you can pick
what works best for your need (and your version of hbase):
http://hbase.apache.org/book/ops.backup.html (and links out of this page)
http://hbase.apache.org/book/ops.snapshots.html
and
HBase Backups  from HBaseCon 2014: