Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dwayne Bailey <dw...@translate.org.za> on 2011/12/13 15:27:05 UTC

Pootle (was Re: About the Former Native Language projects)

Hi,

Sorry this will appear out-of-thread as I've only just subscribed.

First, congratulations on setting up the Pootle server.  As a South
African OOo localiser and a Pootle developer this is great news.

As Khirano said "It takes quite a bit of skill to set up the pootle
server for OpenOffice.org use."

For the record, the last OOo Pootle server was setup by the organisation
that develops Pootle - Translate.org.za (I work for them).  We did this
with an engagement with Oracle and it allowed us to optimise the server
as well as change code to increase performance.  So an engagement that
benefited all Pootle users.  I had hoped that that server would make it
to Apache, but it seems not.

 From the look of it Apache might be using this server for more then
just OOo which I love even more.  I'm not sure where to ask this but
does Apache, or one of the corporate backers, want to engage with
Translate to setup and maintain this server?  Sorry to sound like a
salesman on this list but not sure where else I would ask this question.

--
regards
Dwayne

Re: Pootle (was Re: About the Former Native Language projects)

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

On 12/20/2011 3:15 PM, drew wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 00:04 +0100, André Schnabel wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I don't think that we can avoid having a divergence in translation
>>> strings.  New features added to LO will differ from new features added
>>> to AOO.
>> I need to agree here - actually LibO has several features that AOO does
>> not have. But LibO UI has undergone some string changes as well - so you
>> even won't get 100% translation if you apply LibO translations to AOO.
>>
>>> But the underlying terms we use to describe the UI and the
>>> basic application features will remain the same.  Terms like "pages",
>>> 'sections", "sheets" and 'fonts" etc., are not going to change.  So in
>>> that case, would a shared translation memory database help?
>> The setup at OOo was, that the full po repository was the translation
>> memory.  You seem to mix that with the glossary (which defines terms).
>> TM and glossary might seem similar for UI, as UI string segments are
>> normally rather short. Unfortunately - due to the complexity of the
>> software - the UI strings allone can hardly be used as translation
>> memory - they need to be accompanied with context information (location
>> in the code files).
>>
>> e.g. Sheet has at least three different german translations, same with
>> font.
>>
>> regards,
>>
> Hi André
>
> thanks for your explanations.
>
> I'm still left, as a bystander when it comes to the translations, with
> one simple question.
>
> What happened to the pootle server at OO.o?
As I mentioned before [1], that server is in the possession of TOO.
Andrew

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201112.mbox/%3C4EEB7B89.4050000@oracle.com%3E

--

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group

Re: Pootle (was Re: About the Former Native Language projects)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 20, 2011, at 3:15 PM, drew wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 00:04 +0100, André Schnabel wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I don't think that we can avoid having a divergence in translation
>>> strings.  New features added to LO will differ from new features added
>>> to AOO.
>>
>> I need to agree here - actually LibO has several features that AOO does
>> not have. But LibO UI has undergone some string changes as well - so you
>> even won't get 100% translation if you apply LibO translations to AOO.
>>
>>> But the underlying terms we use to describe the UI and the
>>> basic application features will remain the same.  Terms like "pages",
>>> 'sections", "sheets" and 'fonts" etc., are not going to change.  So in
>>> that case, would a shared translation memory database help?
>>
>> The setup at OOo was, that the full po repository was the translation
>> memory.  You seem to mix that with the glossary (which defines terms).
>> TM and glossary might seem similar for UI, as UI string segments are
>> normally rather short. Unfortunately - due to the complexity of the
>> software - the UI strings allone can hardly be used as translation
>> memory - they need to be accompanied with context information (location
>> in the code files).
>>
>> e.g. Sheet has at least three different german translations, same with
>> font.
>>
>> regards,
>>
> Hi André
>
> thanks for your explanations.
>
> I'm still left, as a bystander when it comes to the translations, with
> one simple question.
>
> What happened to the pootle server at OO.o?
>
> Someone has to know.

Andrew Rist asked the question rather directly of TOO in the thread "Re: How many languages will Apache OpenOffice support?"

On Dec 16, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 12/16/2011 6:09 AM, Kazunari Hirano wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Rob Weir<ro...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>> What was the state of the translations in the OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta?
>>>  That is our starting point.
>> Right. Where are the translations we had on
>> "http://pootle.services.openoffice.org"?
>
> I am afraid this is another issue related to TOO.  The server that http://pootle.services.openoffice.org was hosted on was paid for by funds from TOO (anecdotal, but I have no reason to question that).  TOO has retained physical custody of that server.  I have inquired about the data on the server and have gotten no response.  I have no interest in trying to determine who is entitled to the server itself, but the data is another issue.  I believe the data belongs to the project, and is something Apache OpenOffice is entitled to.
>
> Martin, Stefan, Matthias - Can you help us retrieve this information for the project?
>

>> Thanks,
>> khirano

Regards,
Dave

Re: Pootle (was Re: About the Former Native Language projects)

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by André Schnabel <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Am 19.12.2011 13:38, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Dwayne Bailey <dw...@translate.org.za> wrote:
>> Small teams, small number of people wanting to make sure that OOo in
>> whatever form is localised.  The strings are almost 100% the same, at the
>> moment, between AOO and LibO.  So how to share resource between the two.
>>
>> I don't want to waste people time translating the same thing twice. I also
>> want to make sure that the translations are consistent no matter where it
>> was translated, so sharing for consistency is important to me.
>>
>> So the one issue is logistics of doing this, the other is the licensing
>> concern.
>>

> I don't think that we can avoid having a divergence in translation
> strings.  New features added to LO will differ from new features added
> to AOO.

I need to agree here - actually LibO has several features that AOO does
not have. But LibO UI has undergone some string changes as well - so you
even won't get 100% translation if you apply LibO translations to AOO.

> But the underlying terms we use to describe the UI and the
> basic application features will remain the same.  Terms like "pages",
> 'sections", "sheets" and 'fonts" etc., are not going to change.  So in
> that case, would a shared translation memory database help?

The setup at OOo was, that the full po repository was the translation
memory.  You seem to mix that with the glossary (which defines terms).
TM and glossary might seem similar for UI, as UI string segments are
normally rather short. Unfortunately - due to the complexity of the
software - the UI strings allone can hardly be used as translation
memory - they need to be accompanied with context information (location
in the code files).

e.g. Sheet has at least three different german translations, same with
font.

regards,

André

Re: Pootle (was Re: About the Former Native Language projects)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Dwayne Bailey <dw...@translate.org.za> wrote:

> On 2011-12-16 07:07, Dave Fisher wrote:

On the license side, making the translations available under the
Apache 2.0 license will allow both AOO and LO to use the translations.

Would there be any value to sharing the "translation memory" data
independently of the underlying translations?  Would that give any
benefit?

I don't think that we can avoid having a divergence in translation
strings.  New features added to LO will differ from new features added
to AOO.  But the underlying terms we use to describe the UI and the
basic application features will remain the same.  Terms like "pages",
'sections", "sheets" and 'fonts" etc., are not going to change.  So in
that case, would a shared translation memory database help?

Another other approach would be to actually have shared translation
strings, but adopt a naming convention to distinguish LO-specific
strings from AOO-specific strings, such as using the prefix LO_ or
AOO_.   The common strings would remain the same, making it easier for
a new language translation to target both apps at once.

-Rob

Posted by Dwayne Bailey <dw...@translate.org.za>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dwayne Bailey <dw...@translate.org.za>.