Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 1999/12/02 22:39:31 UTC

.tgz MIME type?

Should it be set to application/octet-stream? Or what?

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > Well, there *is* a way. It just appears there is not a standard MIME type
> > for it.
> >
> > Call it "application/x-tar-gzip" or something.
> >
> > Worst case, we could say "application/vnd.asf.tar-gzip", but I think this
> > is common, rather than vendor-specific.
>
> Or register it with IANA like proper people do.

Well, yah... implied, silly :-)  We are a standards-respecting group, eh?
:-)

And where is Roy to weigh in on stuff like this when you need him? :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de>.
On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 09:39:31PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Should it be set to application/octet-stream? Or what?

I'd say the Content-Type is application/x-tar, just like .tar
Only the Content-Encoding is gzip. Or am I mistaken?

    Martin
--
<Ma...@MchP.Siemens.De>             |    Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-41143 | 81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 02:25:39PM -0700, Cade Cairns wrote:
> According to my MIME types file, it should be application/x-gtar.

Are you sure that's not just GNU tar, as opposed to tar with gnuzip?
That was my impression.

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Peter W <pe...@usa.net>.
At 2:25pm Dec 3, 1999, Cade Cairns wrote:

> According to my MIME types file, it should be application/x-gtar.

Isn't that for "gtar" (GNU tar?), not "gz"? It's an interesting question,
the idea of multipart subtypes. Quick glances at RFC's 2045 and 2046
suggest something like this for .tgz / .tar.gz

or some other "parameter" to better describe this instance of what is, at
its heart, a tar file. Both Netscape 4.7 and MSIE 4.0 seem happy to accept
such additional parameters, though they don't know what they mean. I guess
they shouldn't, if such a parameter is not already defined. :-(

AFAIK, the authoritative list of official MIME types is
 http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types

Anybody else think a bunch of these subtypes like "x-tar" ought to be
officially proposed as "tar" or "vnd.gnu-tar" or something? (Of course
that would break exsiting browsers, but looking forward, if we define
them, maybe the browsers will catch up...)

-Peter

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Cade Cairns <ca...@moonlight.ca>.
According to my MIME types file, it should be application/x-gtar.

-Cade Cairns

RE: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Koen Holtman <kh...@mail.cern.ch>.
At the risk of saying the obvious:

.tgz is gzipped tar, this extension is popular in the Linux world, maybe
elsewhere too.  When you download a .tgz from the web you usually want to
save it directly to disk and use 'tar zxvf' on it later.  The best MIME
type for the HTTP server to use is therefore application/octet-stream.  A
content-type of application/x-tar and content-encoding of gzip will
usually make the browser do the wrong thing.

Koen.

RE: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Vincent Janelle <vj...@virtualynx.com>.