Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by So...@ionidea.com on 2001/06/12 16:33:45 UTC

Hi All, What to do in the beginning

Hi All,

I have been assigned to learn and use Jmeter for my corporation. Ultimate
requirement is to test JMS framework as is the web services framework. I am
basically a TOOL developer who knows Java but is not very thourough in J2EE
stuff(just learning).

I have gone thru the info that was available on the net about Jmeter. Its
theoritically fine, but I think I need more info to start taking the first
steps. For eg. I would like to do the following first :

1. Test a database
2. Test a java object
3. Test a Servlet

I would like to have an initial idea how to test them stepwise. So, if
someone has some time and let me know how to go about it, will feel great.

Thanks,

Som

Re: Hi All, What to do in the beginning

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 12 June 2001 14:33, Soumyab@ionidea.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been assigned to learn and use Jmeter for my corporation. Ultimate
> requirement is to test JMS framework as is the web services framework. I am
> basically a TOOL developer who knows Java but is not very thourough in J2EE
> stuff(just learning).
>
> I have gone thru the info that was available on the net about Jmeter. Its
> theoritically fine, but I think I need more info to start taking the first
> steps. For eg. I would like to do the following first :
>
> 1. Test a database

Ok, JMeter supports JDBC, but it's currently broken.  I haven't looked into
the problem as I have no use for such database testing, but I would be glad
to point you in the right direction.   Here, for example is a testscript that
demostrates how you would setup jmeter to test a database (you'll have to sub
in appropriate values - but load it first and change the values in JMeter):

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<TestPlan>
<threadgroups>
<ThreadGroup name="ThreadGroup" numThreads="1">
<controllers>
<JdbcTestSample type="org.apache.jmeter.protocol.jdbc.control.JdbcTestSample"
name="Database Testing">
<defaultDb>
<ConfigElement type="org.apache.jmeter.protocol.jdbc.config.DbConfig">
<property name="password">root</property>
<property name="url">192.168.1.1</property>
<property name="sub_protocol">mysql</property>
<property name="driver">org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</property>
<property name="username">root</property>
</ConfigElement></defaultDb>
<defaultPool>
<ConfigElement type="org.apache.jmeter.protocol.jdbc.config.PoolConfig">
<property name="use">1000</property>
<property name="num_connections">10</property>
</ConfigElement></defaultPool>
<sqlList>
<ConfigElement type="org.apache.jmeter.protocol.jdbc.config.SqlConfig">
<property name="name">Sql Query</property>
<property name="query">select * from tablename</property>
</ConfigElement>
<ConfigElement type="org.apache.jmeter.protocol.jdbc.config.SqlConfig">
<property name="name">Sql Query</property>
<property name="query">select column1,column2 from table2 where
column1=&apos;foo&apos;</property>
</ConfigElement>
</sqlList>
<configElements>
</configElements>
<controllers>
</controllers>
</JdbcTestSample>

</controllers>
<configElements>
</configElements>
<timers>
</timers>
<listeners>
<JMeterComponent type="org.apache.jmeter.visualizers.GraphModel" name="Graph
Results"/>
</listeners>
</ThreadGroup>

</threadgroups>
<configElements>
</configElements>
</TestPlan>

When this gets run, I think an error occurs (people out there have reported
errors, I don't know if they've fixed them or not).

> 2. Test a java object

Not supported, but you could fairly easily write your own controllers to do
it.  The tricky part comes in when you decide you want to write as few custom
controllers as possible to test as many different and varied objects as
possible.

> 3. Test a Servlet

As in HTTP testing?  JMeter does this pretty well.  Again, I could send you a
script to get you started.  Let me know if that's necessary.

> I would like to have an initial idea how to test them stepwise. So, if
> someone has some time and let me know how to go about it, will feel great.

Well, keep asking questions, and I'll see what I can do.

> Thanks,
>
> Som

Mike Stover
mstover1@apache.org