Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Aurelien Pernoud <ap...@sopragroup.com> on 2002/02/27 11:45:17 UTC

RE: Multiple Instances of same portlet

Hi Nyo,

as far as I understood it, Jetspeed is not totally ready for multiple
instances of the same portlet.

I'm using the 1.3a3dev version (which as many bugfixes and news), and this
is the way i understood is the best to create multiple instances of one
portlet (in fact this is the only method that is 100% working for me) :

instead of using the type=instance method, you create one abstract portlet
with your class this way :

    <portlet-entry name="MyAbstractPortlet" hidden="false"
        type="abstract" application="false">
        <classname>the.way.to.your.class.name</classname>
        <media-type ref="html"/>
    </portlet-entry>

Then you create portlets of this type by referencing this one, as they did
in the demo portlets with HelloJSP and JSP1_2andJetspeedTagLib.

(type=ref and parent=yourabstractportlet)

for example you create :

    <portlet-entry name="FirstInstance" hidden="false" type="ref"
        parent="MyAbstractPortlet" application="false">
            <title>FirstInstance of MyAbstractPortlet</title>
            <description>FirstInstance of MyAbstractPortlet</description>
    </portlet-entry>
    <portlet-entry name="SecondInstance" hidden="false" type="ref"
        parent="MyAbstractPortlet" application="false">
            <title>SecondInstance of MyAbstractPortlet</title>
            <description>SecondInstance of MyAbstractPortlet</description>
    </portlet-entry>

Jetspeed will only see those two portlets (FirstInstance and
SecondInstance), cause MyAbstractPortlet is abstract...

This is what multiple-refs means.

But it doesn't work well with the cache system, i had issues with portlets
not showing, showing infos of other portlets.... and so far the only method
i found that perfectly work is to simply disable the cache (even if it's not
good for performance) during the init of the portlet with
"setCacheable(false)".

It works fine, but if you try to put the same portlet (for example
FirstInstance) in multiple panes then you'll have issues with controls
(minimize will minimize all, customize will customize only one...).

They're working on it to make portlets independant in differents panes, but
so far, the right way to do it is to create as many references to your
abstract portlet as you need to put in your portal.

There is another method described by David Sean Taylor that could prevent
from disabling the cache here :

http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg02378.html

but I didn't test it yet, I'm working on something else.

Hope It helps !

Aurelien Pernoud.
Sopra Group.

PS : I cc: the jetspeed-user ml so that they correct me if I'm wrong.

RE: Multiple Instances of same portlet and status update

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

> On the multiple instances, what do people think of the idea
> of allowing customizer another option : create new instance.
> It would walk user through creating a new instance (portlet
> ref) using a user selection from a list of all the abstract portlets.
>
> Cacheing would still be a problem though.

That would be a very nice feature.
Wrt caching:
I'm going to create an abstract portlet that uses a unique id for the
handle: UniqueAbstractPortlet.
We'd have to decide which portlets we want to inherit from
UniqueAbstractPortlet.

There is still the problem with parameters
See:
http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg02378.htm

I have some ideas on that. This discussion should be on the jetspeed-dev
mailing list.
I will start a thread there

Re: Multiple Instances of same portlet and status update

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>