Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by tommy xiao <xi...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/13 05:14:11 UTC

Proposal: mesosadm, the command to bootstrap the mesos cluster.

Hi team,

I came from china mesos community. in today's group discussion, we came
across a topic: Howto enhance user's cluster experience?

Because newcome user is top resource for a community. if we can enhance
currently mesos cluster installation steps, it will help us fastly
bootstrap in user community.

why mesosadm?

such as Swarm cluster setup steps:

1. docker init
2. docker join

another kuberenetes 1.5 cluster setup steps:

1. kubeadm init
2. kubeadm join --token <token> <master-ip>

So i think the init, join style is good experience for normal user. How
about you think?

--
Deshi Xiao
Twitter: xds2000

Re: Proposal: mesosadm, the command to bootstrap the mesos cluster.

Posted by Tobias Pfeiffer <tg...@preferred.jp>.
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Alex Rukletsov <al...@mesosphere.com> wrote:

> I have a different opinion on this. Several years ago I came across the
> concept of "mean wizards" — any helpers that hide away important steps from
> the user and hence do not give them opportunity to learn how things
> actually work.

On a related note: I think most production setups will use some kind of
configuration management tool, Ansible, cfengine etc., often with an
declarative instead of imperative style. If you have a "command to set
something up", if calling that command is not an idempotent operation then
handling it in a declarative script becomes more difficult. You end up
writing "if some file (generated as a side effect of that program) is not
present, then run command, otherwise do nothing" instead of "ensure that
some configuration file is in place with a well-defined content".

While I think any tool that simplifies "getting started" is great, I think
this may turn all too quickly into a "mean wizard" thing that does some
black magic behind the scenes and that it becomes basically impossible to
setup Mesos *without* the wizard.

Tobias

Re: Proposal: mesosadm, the command to bootstrap the mesos cluster.

Posted by Alex Rukletsov <al...@mesosphere.com>.
I have a different opinion on this. Several years ago I came across the
concept of "mean wizards" — any helpers that hide away important steps from
the user and hence do not give them opportunity to learn how things
actually work. (If you're interested it was about projects in Borland IDEs
that were giving you an editor with a "play" button in several clicks,
hiding all intermediate steps.)

Mesos is not the simplest piece of software. I want its users to
understand, what quorum is. I want them to understand how and why use rate
limiting. I want that they spend time figuring out why pointing work_dir to
/tmp is probably not the best idea.

Instead of giving them a false feeling that running Mesos in production is
as easy as running `cat` or `nano`, I'd rather focus in helping them
learning Mesos: better docs, tutorials, flags descriptions and so on.

Posted by tommy xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
feel it.

Posted by tommy xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
yeah.