Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by till <kl...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/04 17:06:11 UTC

CouchDB defaults

Hey guys,

when I install couchdb e.g. on ubuntu, it creates a couple settings in
/etc/default/couchdb.

I was wondering what you guys think about adding ./configure switches
for each one of them (COUCHDB_USER, COUCHDB_STDOUT_FILE,
COUCHDB_STDERR_FILE, COUCHDB_RESPAWN_TIMEOUT)? =)

It sure would make my life even easier. :D

Thoughs?
Till

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 4 February 2010 16:56, till <kl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > But aren't all those per-instance parameters? Why would you want them
> > compiled into the binaries?
> >
> > - Matt
>
> No, I want to influence whatever is in "defaults" or whatever your
> system calls it. ;)
>
> People would still be able to edit defaults to make it fit to their
> setup, or if the setup ever changes, etc..

Ah, sorry. I interpreted your original email as configure switches as an
alternative to defaults. Ignore me.

- Matt

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by till <kl...@gmail.com>.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by till <kl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 17:06, till <kl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> when I install couchdb e.g. on ubuntu, it creates a couple settings in
>> /etc/default/couchdb.
>>
>> I was wondering what you guys think about adding ./configure switches
>> for each one of them (COUCHDB_USER, COUCHDB_STDOUT_FILE,
>> COUCHDB_STDERR_FILE, COUCHDB_RESPAWN_TIMEOUT)? =)
>
> With my Gentoo packaging hat on, +1.
>
> Also, COUCHDB_PID_FILE.

+1 to that. ;)

Till

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <dj...@gmail.com>.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by till <kl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thoughts Noah? I don't immediately see anything wrong with this, but I
> don't know if other packager people have different expectations.

Can't speak for everyone, but even when I roll a new port on freebsd,
this would come in handy. ;)

My ubuntu stuff is primarily me automating stuff on ec2 instances
where as little manual configuration is key. And if this means a
couple switches allow me to skip on post-processing my installs
through another script, I'm game. :D

Till

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by till <kl...@gmail.com>.
Ping?

Just wondering what happened or what the consensus was. :D

Till

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 13:37, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think he means "copy the file specified by --with-defaults-file to
> the standard location".

Yes.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Nope, I don't think i like this.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On 4 Feb 2010, at 20:23, till wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>> Nope, I understand what you want, I just don't know if it's a good idea.
>>
>> So my thought experiment was to wonder if we'd do the same for the other configuration files.
>>
>> As in, where is the line drawn?
>
> IMHO, there doesn't have to be a line drawn anywhere. If people
> request more options, why not provide them? Unless there's a good
> reason not to.

Every additional option adds cognitive burden to:

	* Maintaining the configure.ac script

	* Understanding the output from ./configure --help

So I would argue that we need to think about where to draw the line here.

Note, I've not expressed an opinion either way whether this crosses whatever line may exist.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by till <kl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Nope, I understand what you want, I just don't know if it's a good idea.
>
> So my thought experiment was to wonder if we'd do the same for the other configuration files.
>
> As in, where is the line drawn?

IMHO, there doesn't have to be a line drawn anywhere. If people
request more options, why not provide them? Unless there's a good
reason not to.

These kind of switches make packing a lot easier and provide more
flexibility to anyone who runs CouchDB from source.

Take a look at ./configure --help from a MySQL source download, or
Apache. Plenty of options to choose from. :)

Till

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by till <kl...@gmail.com>.
Hey Noah,

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> I'm unsure.
>
> Would he accept a patch for ./configure that set default values in local.ini too?

Theoretically, we sorta do this because it does get variable
substitution from config settings.

Re: CouchDB defaults

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
I'm unsure.