Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Anna Vo <AV...@widen.com> on 2007/02/06 21:20:14 UTC

Tap4.1.2. - @DropDownDatePicker component validation - resets to previous value for invalid dates without user awareness

The @DropDownDatePicker resets to the previous value if someone manually
changes the date to an invalid one, but the user is unaware of any
validation issues.

For example, we have an Expiration Date field that is set for 2/28/2007
and a user manually changes it to 2/29/2008. When they submit the form
(without focusing on the next field) the form passes validation and the
user thinks that the date they entered is fine. However, what ends up
happening is the date just reverts back to the previous value and the
user is now unaware that the changes they made on that date were
incorrect and not saved.

Is there anyway to indicate to the user that an error occurred? Thanks
in advance.

Anna

Re: Tap4.1.2. - @DropDownDatePicker component validation - resets to previous value for invalid dates without user awareness

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Do you mean with like with a ValidationDelegate on the form ?

Oh,..#$! ..The widget is doing that locally. Fine. I can fix that with
a local tapestry patch I guess.. (i might remember more easily with a
JIRA ticket )

On 2/6/07, Anna Vo <AV...@widen.com> wrote:
> The @DropDownDatePicker resets to the previous value if someone manually
> changes the date to an invalid one, but the user is unaware of any
> validation issues.
>
> For example, we have an Expiration Date field that is set for 2/28/2007
> and a user manually changes it to 2/29/2008. When they submit the form
> (without focusing on the next field) the form passes validation and the
> user thinks that the date they entered is fine. However, what ends up
> happening is the date just reverts back to the previous value and the
> user is now unaware that the changes they made on that date were
> incorrect and not saved.
>
> Is there anyway to indicate to the user that an error occurred? Thanks
> in advance.
>

> Anna

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer