Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Richard Bolen <bo...@GretagMacbeth.com> on 2002/02/15 18:12:18 UTC

Using SOAP to enable different versions of client/server applicat ions to interoperate?

I'm working on a project where we need to allow different versions of a
client and a server to work together.  Our deployment pattern is very
complex and we will have different server versions and different client
versions all trying to interoperate.  We're using SOAP as the communication
mechanism.  What this boils down to is that a client (and the server) should
be able to operate on different versions of the same objects sent over soap.

Does SOAP serialization/deserialization enable this in some way?  Can one
version of an object be serialized on one end and deserialized into a
different form of the same object on the other end?  There would be
restrictions on how the object could change over different versions to help
enable this.

Has anyone out there faced this same issue?  Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks -
Rich

Rich Bolen
Senior Software Developer
GretagMacbeth Advanced Technologies Center
79 T. W. Alexander Drive - Bldg. 4401 - Suite 250
PO Box 14026
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709-4026  USA
Phone:  919-549-7575 x239,  Fax: 919-549-0421

http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/