Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Jason Keltz <ja...@eecs.yorku.ca> on 2020/04/04 14:50:20 UTC

hardware requirements for Guacamole

Hi.

The other day, I asked a question about load balancing on Guacamole.
Nick provided useful information in that respect. Thanks again Nick!
On the other hand, I'd like to get some idea of how many desktop
connections a single Guacamole server could handle.  There's really very
little information about that online (that I can find).  I understand
that different users will all do different activities (text editing
versus YouTube steaming), and that's going to have an impact on the
numbers, but really, I'm just looking for averages. I saw one single
mention online to this: 1 core and 2G of memory for 25 users.  If that's
correct, that's really amazing!   Although, I didn't see any mention of
the network requirements.  I'd like to build a server capable of
handling 150-300 simultaneous desktop connections.  If I could do it
with one server, it would be great.  Sure, I can load it with dual Xeon
processors, and gigabytes of memory, but how much network do I need? Is
1 x 10G enough? and will it really be able to handle the average load?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.  You'll be helping me, but
you'll also be helping others who are trying to search online for the
limitations of Guacamole.

Jason.

RE: hardware requirements for Guacamole

Posted by "Newman, Dennis" <de...@spglobal.com>.
Ivan,
Thank you for that – it is very helpful.

For those collecting info –
We are running our Guacamole system on a two server
VMware ESXi, 6.7.0 setup.
Server 1 is an HP ProLiant DL380 G7
with Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
and 140 Gigs of Ram - which hosts 47 Virtual systems

1 - production web server
1- Guacamole Server - running on a CentOs7
Set with
8 virtual CPU
16 gig Memory
a 100 gig Hard disk
and 1 virtual Nic

40 virtual windows 7 desktops being connected through Guac RDP

Server 2 is an HP ProLiant DL360 Gen10
With Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5218 CPU @ 2.30GHz
and 580 gigs of Ram currently hosting 65 Virtual systems

1 Development Sql server and
64 virtual windows 7 desktops being connected through Guac RDP

We have also added 75 new Guacamole RDP to Physical desktops (mostly Windows 10) since Work From Home began.
ESXI Hosts are using about 20% of theis CPU resources
We are sitting at about 50% host memory usage
My Guacamole system averages about 30% memory and cpu usage to allocation
We have seen a few more of our international users complain about system speed and Guacamole connection instability since moving from our offices to their homes, but I feel most of that is due to their home internet connections being slower than their office ones were.

We have also been asked to start adding between 50 and 100 new Virtual Windows 7 users to our system over the next three months. We are confident that we can manage this primarily on Server #2

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jason Keltz <ja...@eecs.yorku.ca>.
Thanks Chris, and Ivan,

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.