Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net> on 2015/12/03 03:34:10 UTC

Re: A 5.4 release?

Hi,

I'd like to get SOLR-8330 in for 5.4. I'm currently merging and running
tests so let me know if I shouldn't be merging this in.

Anshum Gupta

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
I've just generated the first RC, but haven't posted it. How long do you
expect it to take to get this bug resolved? It does seem worth doing.

Upayavira

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Everyone,

I think we should try to fix SOLR-8363 before the RC?

Seems like this problem has been there for a while since the
luceneMatchVersion hasn't updated in a while. So if others feel this isn't
worth the delay then I'll remove it from being a blocker.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> SOLR-8330 is not critical so I don't think it should have been committed
> to the 5.4 branch. This gives CI too little time to find problems before
> Upayavira cuts a release candidate.
>
> Le jeu. 3 déc. 2015 à 03:34, Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to get SOLR-8330 in for 5.4. I'm currently merging and running
>> tests so let me know if I shouldn't be merging this in.
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:00 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to Steve and Uwe, we now have both ASF and Policeman Jenkins
>>> pointing at the 5.4 branch.
>>>
>>> Upayavira

>>> already

>>> lots of
>>> if

>>> into
>>> there are

>>> moment, the feature

>>> version 5.4. I
>>> expect that the

>>> Noble) blocker
>>> authorization causes

>>> the release?

>>> critical

>>> critical

>>> holding back a

>>> critical
>>> java 9 (b71)"

>>> blocker?

>>> others), blocker

>>> I will not

>>> attention. Anyone

>> --
>> Anshum Gupta

Varun Thacker

RE: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

I agree: it brings no new functionality. On the other hand it is unlikely to break, so if Jenkins passes one time it will pass everytime (unless there is a still broken test that parses log output in a random way).!

So I would leave it open to release manager to merge it and press the “commit” button.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:00 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk <ma...@odoko.co.uk> > wrote:

Thanks to Steve and Uwe, we now have both ASF and Policeman Jenkins
pointing at the 5.4 branch.

Upayavira

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 04:10 PM, Upayavira wrote:
> thx :-)
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 04:07 PM, Noble Paul wrote:
> > OK . So I need to commit my fixes there. I missed the branch creation
> > mail
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Noble Paul <noble.paul@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com> > wrote:
> > > @Upayavira is there a branch created for 5.4 already. I see one already

> > > --
> > > Noble Paul
> >

> > --

Anshum Gupta

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
Sure.

The last message on the thread was from about 8 days ago so I wasn't sure
if it would be a while before the RC was cut giving this enough time on the
branch. In any case, I agree with not shoving things in last moment.

Anshum Gupta

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Noble Paul <no...@gmail.com>.
nice upayavira. Every new RM adds value to the release todo. Enjoy the ride
👍

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
This is good ! :)

just so that you know, make sure that your key is up on id.apache.org too!
I struggled with that for almost a day during my first release (I believe I
added that to the wiki too).

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 12:59 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015, at 06:10 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > As a first time Release Manager
> >
> > Thanks Upayavira!
> >
> > But please, please, please take advantage of your newness to this, to
> > edit https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseTodo when things are
> > confusing/missing/etc.!
> >
> > Being new to something is unfortunately rare and we all quickly become
> > "release blind" after doing a couple releases.
>
> Okay - will do.
>
> 1. Make sure your key is up on the pgp.mit.edu before running the build.
> 2. Make sure you are using ant 1.8, not ant 1.9.
> 3. To be found out shortly... :-)

Anshum Gupta

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015, at 08:59 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Thanks Upayavira!
> >>
> >> But please, please, please take advantage of your newness to this, to
> >> edit https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseTodo when things are
> >> confusing/missing/etc.!
> >>
> >> Being new to something is unfortunately rare and we all quickly become
> >> "release blind" after doing a couple releases.
> >
> > Okay - will do.
> >
> > 1. Make sure your key is up on the pgp.mit.edu before running the build.
> > 2. Make sure you are using ant 1.8, not ant 1.9.
> > 3. To be found out shortly... :-)
>
> Thanks Upayavira: your newness is paying off already!  Just be sure to
> edit the wiki accordingly :)

I certainly will. I'll add some context setting at the top too, as it
does dive into the weeds pretty much from the get go.

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015, at 06:10 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > As a first time Release Manager
>>
>> Thanks Upayavira!
>>
>> But please, please, please take advantage of your newness to this, to
>> edit https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseTodo when things are
>> confusing/missing/etc.!
>>
>> Being new to something is unfortunately rare and we all quickly become
>> "release blind" after doing a couple releases.
>
> Okay - will do.
>
> 1. Make sure your key is up on the pgp.mit.edu before running the build.
> 2. Make sure you are using ant 1.8, not ant 1.9.
> 3. To be found out shortly... :-)

Thanks Upayavira: your newness is paying off already!  Just be sure to
edit the wiki accordingly :)

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Thanks Varun.

As a first time Release Manager, I'm currently working through the steps
needed to build a release. I'll call a vote as soon as I have uploaded
artifacts that are passing smoke tests.

Upayavira

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Upayavira,

I have committed a fix for SOLR-8363 . You should be good to go.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> Agreed. Waiting on SOLR-8363 right now.
>
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015, at 02:14 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:
> > Agreed, what's done is done but in future, let's avoid shoving
> > anything other than critical bug fixes into release branches.
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > A really strong reason would be to not shove last minute changes right
> > > before releases.

> the
> thinks
> this
> due to

> committed
> before

> a écrit

> running

> noble.paul@gmail.com>
> one

> US,
> surprised

> SOLR-8101

> uv@odoko.co.uk>
> this

> to fix

> (Anusham,

> before

> of

> (Uwe)
> and

> (Shalin,

> here, so

> worthy of

> dev-help@lucene.apache.org

> dev-help@lucene.apache.org

> dev-help@lucene.apache.org

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Varun Thacker

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: A 5.4 release?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, what's done is done but in future, let's avoid shoving
anything other than critical bug fixes into release branches.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A really strong reason would be to not shove last minute changes right
> before releases.
>
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net> wrote:
>> I'll admit I committed it thinking it was safe and didn't bring any
>> flakiness into the system but it's not something critical. I'll let the
>> release manager decide if it's fine being released with 5.4. If he thinks
>> otherwise (or someone else has a really strong reason) we can roll this
>> back, though I don't really see a reason unless we see broken builds due to
>> this commit.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> SOLR-8330 is not critical so I don't think it should have been committed
>>> to the 5.4 branch. This gives CI too little time to find problems before
>>> Upayavira cuts a release candidate.
>>>
>>> Le jeu. 3 déc. 2015 à 03:34, Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net> a écrit
>>> :

>> --