Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Strauss, Randy (ARC-AF)[KBR Wyle Services, LLC]" <ra...@nasa.gov.INVALID> on 2021/03/22 18:46:21 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

> 2018-11-29-F008-Back40.csv

I work for NASA (as a contractor).  It seems that for Macs, NASA, and perhaps all of the federal government, don't yet support anything past Java 8.  I have no idea why...
-r
Randy Strauss
Software Engr, SWS/UAM/UTM, NASA Ames Research Center

Re: [EXTERNAL] [exec][email] Java 7 to 8

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Oracle changed the license past Java8. Oracle Java is not free anymore. OpenJDK is though. So for anything later people have to move to AdoptOpenJDK. And company executives seem to be not sure about that move yet. Also the half year cadence leads to way less testing on a specific Java Version. Even if Java11 is LTS it does not see big adoption because it's only 'supported' by Oracle (main marketing) for half a year. Also while most of their Java Module changes in Java9..16 is nice for their internal decoupling it is often a major pita for downstream projects.

My personal guess is that Java17 (which is the next LTS) will see some adoption. With anything in between pretty much getting skipped, except where it really makes sense. e.g. Java Native Memory Access support for Apache Lucene, etc.

LieGrue,
strub