Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/13 23:19:38 UTC

_replicate & _replicator

Hi all,

Thanks to the awesome work of fdmanana we have now _replicator in
trunk and obviously in 1.1. But we still have _replicate handler in
the code that works differently . Replication handled by _replicate
doesn't create a doc and can't e stopped in the same way. So I was
asking myself if we shouldn't solve this issue before releasing 1.1 .
I see 2 way to do it :

- simply remove the _replicate handler
- make the _replicate handler that works like the old one but create
doc in _replicator db

I think the second solution is better. Also solving that issue would
allows me to merge my replicator ui branch that uses _replicator
features.

Thoughts?

- benoît

Re: _replicate & _replicator

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2010, at 23:19, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks to the awesome work of fdmanana we have now _replicator in
>> trunk and obviously in 1.1. But we still have _replicate handler in
>> the code that works differently . Replication handled by _replicate
>> doesn't create a doc and can't e stopped in the same way. So I was
>> asking myself if we shouldn't solve this issue before releasing 1.1 .
>> I see 2 way to do it :
>>

>> - simply remove the _replicate handler
>
> We can't remove APIs between major versions :)
>
>  http://semver.org/
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

What happened to, "Relax!"

Re: _replicate & _replicator

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

On 15 Oct 2010, at 22:44, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 13 Oct 2010, at 23:19, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Thanks to the awesome work of fdmanana we have now _replicator in
>>> trunk and obviously in 1.1. But we still have _replicate handler in
>>> the code that works differently . Replication handled by _replicate
>>> doesn't create a doc and can't e stopped in the same way. So I was
>>> asking myself if we shouldn't solve this issue before releasing 1.1 .
>>> I see 2 way to do it :
>>>

>>> - simply remove the _replicate handler
>>
>> We can't remove APIs between major versions :)
>>
>> http://semver.org/
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>> --
>>
> I'm afraid I need to quote myself :
>
> [[[
> - make the _replicate handler that works like the old one but create
> doc in _replicator db
> ]]]
>
> So no api is removed. _replicate is deprecated. Promise is here.

Great! Sorry for the noise.

Cheers
Jan

Re: _replicate & _replicator

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2010, at 23:19, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks to the awesome work of fdmanana we have now _replicator in
>> trunk and obviously in 1.1. But we still have _replicate handler in
>> the code that works differently . Replication handled by _replicate
>> doesn't create a doc and can't e stopped in the same way. So I was
>> asking myself if we shouldn't solve this issue before releasing 1.1 .
>> I see 2 way to do it :
>>

>> - simply remove the _replicate handler
>
> We can't remove APIs between major versions :)
>
>  http://semver.org/
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

I'm afraid I need to quote myself :

[[[
- make the _replicate handler that works like the old one but create
doc in _replicator db
]]]

So no api is removed. _replicate is deprecated. Promise is here.

- benoit

Re: _replicate & _replicator

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: _replicate & _replicator

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
On 14.10.2010, at 05:52, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks to the awesome work of fdmanana we have now _replicator in
>> trunk and obviously in 1.1. But we still have _replicate handler in
>> the code that works differently . Replication handled by _replicate
>> doesn't create a doc and can't e stopped in the same way. So I was
>> asking myself if we shouldn't solve this issue before releasing 1.1 .
>> I see 2 way to do it :
>>

>> - simply remove the _replicate handler
>> - make the _replicate handler that works like the old one but create
>> doc in _replicator db
>>
>> I think the second solution is better. Also solving that issue would
>> allows me to merge my replicator ui branch that uses _replicator
>> features.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I think it is OK to leave the old replicator in when we ship the
> replicator db. That way if there was a bug, there'd be a fallback in
> the existing version.

+1

[snip]

Re: _replicate & _replicator

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think it is OK to leave the old replicator in when we ship the
>> replicator db. That way if there was a bug, there'd be a fallback in
>> the existing version.
>>

> Hum, but we don't offer the same promise for each use then, that's the
> only reaal issue I see by doing that. Are there any known issues in
> _replicator currently?
>
>> Can your UI work with the existing trunk?
>>
> Sure, I can make it work only with the _replicator. Will make the
> changes and provide the patch asap.

Awesome. Thanks.

I think the _replicator UI will be really useful for people and then
we'll have ample time to figure out how to merge the old and the new
apis.

I do like your idea of moving _replicate to be a control for the
_replicator db (for 1.2+). We could eventually restrict access to the
replicator db to _admins, so having the old api be for any user seems
like a good compromise.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson