Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dagan Sandler <da...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/13 09:41:18 UTC

Should I disable maven-compiler-plugin when using aspectj-maven-compiler?

Hi,

I am in the process of updating my plugin definitions in all of the
projects I manage.
Notably, I tried updating maven-compiler-plugin from 2.5.1 to 3.3 but
encountered an issue in a project that uses aspectj-maven-plugin.

The issue is, it seems, that the maven-compiler-plugin is invoked before
the aspectj-maven-plugin, and causes the build to fail.

I have previously used a workaround for this issue by setting the
aspectj-maven-plugin to execute in phase process-sources, so it's invoked
before the maven plugin
However, in maven-compiler-plugin 3.1+ there's this bug
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCOMPILER-209> which causes the
maven-compiler-plugin to recompile all sources and to fail the build, so
you must set useIncrementalCompilation to *false*

Another workaround I found before finding out about the incremental build
bug, is to disable the maven-compiler-plugin altogether in that project and
let aspectj-maven-plugin do all the compilation by adding
<execution>
<id>default-compile</id>
<phase>none</phase>
</execution>
to the maven-compiler-plugin definition

Anyone knows the downsides of any of these workarounds? Is there another
configuration that I should be using instead of these options?

Re: Should I disable maven-compiler-plugin when using aspectj-maven-compiler?

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <al...@kriegisch.name>.
+1

Dagan, I use the AspectJ Maven Plugin a lot, I just did not get around to answering. But you found my (kriegaex) answer on StackOverflow anyway, so you have a working solution. This is what I use all the time, i.e. useIncrementalCompilation=false for Maven Compiler and phase=process-sources for AspectJ Maven. Deactivating Maven Compiler altogether is also an option because the AspectJ compiler internally uses the Eclipse Java Compiler and thus is a full replacement for Javac.
--
Alexander Kriegisch
http://scrum-master.de

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Dagan Sandler <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Dagan Sandler <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
  take a look athttp://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.aspectj/?root=Tools_Project
take a gander at AjcTask.java and notice the setting of javac arg called 'proc'
/**   * Controls whether annotation processing and/or compilation is done.   * -proc:none means that compilation takes place without annotation processing.   * -proc:only means that only annotation processing is done, without any subsequent compilation.   */  public void setProc(String proc) {    if (proc.equals("none")) {      cmd.addFlag("-proc:none", true);    } else if (proc.equals("only")) {      cmd.addFlag("-proc:only", true);    }  }
-proc: {none,only}Controls whether annotation processing and/or compilation is done. -proc:none means that compilation takes place without annotation processing. -proc:only means that only annotation processing is done, without any subsequent compilation.

Posted by Dagan Sandler <da...@gmail.com>.
Both, actually.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Dagan Sandler <da...@gmail.com>.
hmmm, possibly, never knew that option existed. I will check it.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.