Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by PutoDemonio <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/07 11:40:31 UTC

v:commonsValidator maxlength

I'm searching info about how to use v:commonsValidator, something more than
check a required field or an email, but I don't find anything.

Where can I find something like documentation, and not just a little
example, always the same "required field" example!!

I'm trying to validate the maxlength of a textArea, and I try something like
this:

<h:inputTextarea styleClass="text medium" id="description"
    value="#{subsystemForm.subsystem.description}" required="true"
maxlength="1500">
    <v:commonsValidator type="required"
arg="#{text['subsystem.description']}" />
    <v:commonsValidator type="maxlength"
arg="#{text['subsystem.description']}"/>
</h:inputTextarea>

But I think that I have to set the maxlength value in some parameter in
v:commonsValidator node...

Please, help! This must be too easy to loose so much time!!!

Re: v:commonsValidator maxlength

Posted by PutoDemonio <al...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much.
Your message has help me very much!

Re: v:commonsValidator maxlength

Posted by PutoDemonio <al...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, but I have to change that code, because it had a mistake.

If you had disabled the JavaScript, the server validation thowed an
exception, caused by adding the "maxlength" parameter, I don't know exactly
why!!

It was necesary for client validation, so Whath could I do?

I have edit the validator-rules.xml, to change the name of the parameter
that client validator looks for.
I have change it from maxlength to max, so now I use the same parameter to
server and client validation.

The part of the validator-rules.xml I have change is:

<validator name="maxlength"
            classname="org.apache.commons.validator.GenericValidator"
               method="maxLength"
         methodParams="java.lang.String,int"
              depends=""
                  msg="errors.maxlength">
[...]
                        var iMax = parseInt(oMaxLength[x][2]("max"));
[...]
</validator>

And my code now is:

Now my code is:

<h:inputTextarea styleClass="text medium" id="description"
	value="#{subsystemForm.subsystem.description}" required="true"
	maxlength="1500" cols="80" rows="10">
	<v:commonsValidator type="required"
		arg="#{text['subsystem.description']}"
		server="true"
		client="true"/>
	<v:commonsValidator type="maxlength"
		arg="#{text['subsystem.description']}"
		max="1500"
		server="true"
		client="true"/>
</h:inputTextarea>

Re: v:commonsValidator maxlength

Posted by PutoDemonio <al...@gmail.com>.
Now my code is:

<h:inputTextarea styleClass="text medium" id="description"
	value="#{subsystemForm.subsystem.description}" required="true"
	maxlength="1500" cols="80" rows="10">
	<v:commonsValidator type="required"
		arg="#{text['subsystem.description']}"
		server="true"
		client="true"/>
	<v:commonsValidator type="maxlength"
		arg="#{text['subsystem.description']}"
		max="1500"
		maxlength="1500"
		server="true"
		client="true"/>
</h:inputTextarea>

The "max" parameter  is to server side validatioin, and the "maxlength"
parameter to the client side.

Thank you one more time!!!