Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net> on 2017/04/12 15:12:44 UTC

CloudStack related changes in Ansible 2.3

Hi CloudStack users

Ansible 2.3 is about to be released, I would like to summarize the
CloudStack related features and changes in this release.

New modules
-----------

- cs_host
- cs_nic
- cs_region
- cs_role
- cs_vpc

Examples and usage for these modules can be found in the docs,
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/list_of_cloud_modules.html#cloudstack as
usual.

Docs
----

The CloudStack guide
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/guide_cloudstack.html has been updated,
note the new feature "Environment Variables"
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/guide_cloudstack.html#environment-variables

VPC
---

The VPC support has been improved in the related modules, but there is
still some work to do.

Integration tests
-----------------

Soon, CloudStack related new Ansible PRs will be automatically tested
(~1.000 tasks) on a CI against a CloudStack Simulator running 4.9.x.

Future Module Development
-------------------------

Due some other side projects of mine (writing books takes more time than
one would might think), development of new modules is lagging a bit. One
module (cs_serviceoffer) is currently WIP
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/19041.

But no worries, new modules are planed:
- cs_diskoffer
- modules for VPN setup

Cloud Role
----------

At SWISS TXT, we created a Ansible role for setting up VMs in a
cloudstack cloud with advanced networking for different customer
projects, The role is open source (BSD) and can be found on GitHub
https://github.com/swisstxt/ansible-role-cloud-infra

Feel free to fork and improve it.

Goal of my Ansible CloudStack Project
-------------------------------------

I often get ask, why I am doing it.

My goal is to not only install and upgrade CloudStack by Ansible (that
is relatively easy... and can even be done without that much cloudstack
api interaction) but configure _and_ maintaining a cloud (basic or
advanced networking) in a reliable way!

It will install the OS and install cloudstack management server, install
the OS on the hosts, setup hypversisors, create zones, pods, clusters,
accounts, users, add configured hosts to cloudstack all this by a single
run and the best of it, you can re-run it safely again and again,
without fear breaking anything.

Have to add a new host? No problem, put the hardware in the rack and
connect it to the net, ansible will take care on the next run: it can be
that simple.

Also note, ansible can manage your network switches, routers and
firewalls too! http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/list_of_network_modules.html

The possibilities are endless...

Thanks
Ren�

Re: CloudStack related changes in Ansible 2.3

Posted by Syed Ahmed <sa...@cloudops.com>.
Awesome! Thanks Rene for maintaining the ansible moudle. I've been recently
using it with Trillian to do our CI and it really helps to automate a lot
of the work.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Thank you for your work Rene!

BlueOrangutan with Trillian [1] uses the CloudStack ansible modules for deploying environments and testing CloudStack (PRs, packages etc).

[1] https://github.com/shapeblue/Trillian

Regards.

________________________________

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: CloudStack related changes in Ansible 2.3

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Brilliant – thanks for the continued good work on this René.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

AW: CloudStack related changes in Ansible 2.3

Posted by "Jochim, Ingo" <In...@bitgroup.de>.
Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Ingo