Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ralf Schneider <ra...@tapfere-schneiderleins.de> on 2004/04/20 00:39:48 UTC

Problem with Data Source Definition

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Struts 1.1 with a database connection using DBCP 1.1 to
connect to a SAP DB 7.4 database.

Unfortunately, I get the following error during startup of Tomcat (5.0.19):
StandardContext[/demo_03]Servlet /demo_03 threw load() exception
javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Initializing application data source
local_01
	at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModuleDataSources(ActionServlet.java:1091)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:472)
	at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:256)

This is the data sources part of my struts-config.xml:
  <data-sources>
    <data-source key="local_01"
type="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource">
      <set-property property="description" value="My DB Configuration" />

      <set-property property="driverClassName"
value="com.sap.dbtech.jdbc.DriverSapDB" />
      <set-property property="url" value="jdbc:sapdb://localhost/ENIWDB" />
      <set-property property="user" value="test" />
      <set-property property="password" value="Test" />

      <set-property property="defaultAutoCommit" value="false" />
      <set-property property="defaultReadOnly" value="false" />
      <set-property property="maxActive" value="10" />
      <set-property property="maxWait" value="5000" />
      <set-property property="validationQuery" value="SELECT COUNT(*) FROM
dual" />
    </data-source>
  </data-sources>

The same connection settings work in another project not using Struts and
DBCP. Any ideas what the problem is with this configuration?

Thanks in advance,
Ralf.

Re: Problem with Data Source Definition

Posted by Xuemin Guan <xu...@bbx-japan.com>.
One more reference: http://tinyurl.com/2rxbh

Best,

Xuemin

Posted by Xuemin Guan <xu...@bbx-japan.com>.
I don't know the cause of this problem. I set up the datasource
inforamtion in both Tomcat's server.xml and the application
specific web.xml rather than in struts-config.xml, and I have no
problem.

The regarding part in the server.xml:

                   <Resource name="jdbc/LocalNesSQLServer" scope="Shareable"
                        type="javax.sql.DataSource" auth="Container"
                        description="The Nes SQLServer Database residing on
machine, 192.168.8.136">
                    </Resource>
                    <ResourceParams name="jdbc/LocalNesSQLServer">
                        <parameter>
                            <name>driverClassName</name>

<value>com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver</value>
                        </parameter>

                        <parameter>
                            <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName=nes;SelectMeth
od=cursor</value>
                        </parameter>

                        <parameter>
                            <name>username</name>
                            <value>nesuser</value>
                        </parameter>

                        <parameter>
                            <name>password</name>
                            <value>password</value>
                        </parameter>
                        <!-- Maximum number of dB connections in pool. Make
sure you
                             configure your DB max_connections large enough
to handle
                             all of your db connections. Set to 0 for no
limit.
                             -->
                        <parameter>
                            <name>maxActive</name>
                            <value>100</value>
                        </parameter>

                        <!-- Maximum number of idle dB connections to retain
in pool.
                             Set to 0 for no limit.
                             -->
                        <parameter>
                            <name>maxIdle</name>
                            <value>30</value>
                        </parameter>
                    </ResourceParams>

The conserning part in my web.xml:

    <resource-ref>
        <res-ref-name>jdbc/LocalNesSQLServer</res-ref-name>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

Alternatively, please read http://lin.kz/?b6v00

Best,

Xuemin

Posted by Ralf Schneider <ra...@tapfere-schneiderleins.de>.

Posted by Daniel H A Lima <em...@yahoo.com.br>.
 --- Johannes Wolfgang Woger <jw...@chello.at>
escreveu: >

> Daniel Henrique Alves Lima wrote:
>
> > I've a problem with dbcp but it was different: I
> was declaring my ds
> > in a tomcat config file but the
> > .jar file (which contains the jdbc driver) was
> available only for my
> > application (in WEB-INF/lib) and not for
> > the Tomcat itself :-(
>
> if you use JNDI, all connection-related .jar should
> be in tomcat/common/lib

Yes, i know...It was a solved problem :-)

Posted by Johannes Wolfgang Woger <jw...@chello.at>.

Posted by Daniel Henrique Alves Lima <em...@yahoo.com.br>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Ralf,