Posted to users@solr.apache.org by cliff willsher <cl...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/10 09:40:16 UTC

Solr 9.1 Null Pointer Exception

Hi,

I’m having an issue with using simple paging (i.e. using the “start” parameter) and the default query of *:*. The first query succeeds (start=0) but subsequent queries fail (start >= rows). Any other query that finds all documents will page as expected (i.e. q=id:*).

The failure is a NPE on the Solr server with a message that "this.docs is null". (Stack trace available if required)

This happens in my app using the solrj client, but I can reproduce it using the Solr Admin page. I’ve deleted and rebuilt the index several times.

I’m using the solr.latest Docker image which is a Solr 9.1 installation.

Any help appreciated.

Cliff

Re: Solr 9.1 Null Pointer Exception

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/10/22 02:40, cliff willsher wrote:
> I’m having an issue with using simple paging (i.e. using the “start” parameter) and the default query of *:*. The first query succeeds (start=0) but subsequent queries fail (start >= rows). Any other query that finds all documents will page as expected (i.e. q=id:*).
>
> The failure is a NPE on the Solr server with a message that "this.docs is null". (Stack trace available if required)
>
> This happens in my app using the solrj client, but I can reproduce it using the Solr Admin page. I’ve deleted and rebuilt the index several times.

I have an install of 9.2.0-SNAPSHOT built from git hash
b034e030e24a2bc6952f1802f9675b2c70a0eb19 and I have confirmed this.  A
little over 200K docs in the index.  The all docs query "*:*" fails with
that NPE if any nonzero positive value is used for the "start"
parameter.  As stated, an explicit query of field:value works just fine.

Solr 9.0.0 does not have this problem.

I opened an issue for it:

Shawn