Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adrian Hoe 贺文耀 <ma...@adrianhoe.com> on 2006/08/14 05:22:58 UTC

Case sensitive in file name

Hi,

I ran into a problem with case in file names.

I have two files under version control:

IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0999s.JPG

On Linux/Mac OS X file system, I can have both IMG_0999S.JPG and
IMG_0999s.JPG. But I can't do "svn ren" IMG_0999.JPG to
IMG_0999S.JPG. It says "File IMG_0999S.JPG already exists".

I would like to use "S" and "s" to differentiate the size of the
image file.

Is this a bug or a feature of Subversion?

Thanks and regards,
--
"If you missed the rising sun and the morning dew, don't miss the
beautiful sunset." -- Adrian Hoe inspired by Michal Nowak, June 15 2004

Re: Case sensitive in file name

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 14 Aug 2006, at 06:22, Adrian Hoe 贺文耀 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I ran into a problem with case in file names.
>
> I have two files under version control:
>
> IMG_0999.JPG
> IMG_0999s.JPG
>
> On Linux/Mac OS X file system, I can have both IMG_0999S.JPG and
> IMG_0999s.JPG. But I can't do "svn ren" IMG_0999.JPG to
> IMG_0999S.JPG. It says "File IMG_0999S.JPG already exists".

The default HFS+ file system on OS X is case preserving but case
insensitive similar to Windows.  Since 10.4 it has been possible to
format a file system as HFS+, case sensitive, which would be one work
around.  Personnally, I'd be reluctant to do that because

a) there may be apps that expect case insensitive and break otherwise
b) I think (and this is JUST MY OPINION, so let's not have yet
another case sensitivity war) that case preserving, case insensitive
is the right way for a file system to be, at least in English Locales.

> I would like to use "S" and "s" to differentiate the size of the
> image file.

I would suggest a different naming convention to get around your
problem.  How about "small" and "large" or equivalent in your first
language?

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.
Quoth Adrian Hoe ??? <ma...@adrianhoe.com>:
> I ran into a problem with case in file names.
>

> I have two files under version control:
>

> IMG_0999.JPG
> IMG_0999s.JPG
>

> On Linux/Mac OS X file system, I can have both IMG_0999S.JPG and
> IMG_0999s.JPG. But I can't do "svn ren" IMG_0999.JPG to
> IMG_0999S.JPG. It says "File IMG_0999S.JPG already exists".
>

> I would like to use "S" and "s" to differentiate the size of the
> image file.
>

> Is this a bug or a feature of Subversion?

Neither; it's a bug or feature of the operating system.

On Linux that ought to work fine, since Linux supports case-sensitive
filenames.

On Windows and OSX, however, filenames are case-insensitive, which means
that you cannot have two files with names that differ only in case.

You will need to come up with a different naming convention if you want
to support the non-Linux OSes.