Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> on 2011/09/22 11:22:50 UTC

Make ReviewBoard obligatory?

Hi,

as Camille suggested[1], I've used ReviewBoard in the last weeks for a couple
of issues. I believe it's a very good tool and helps a lot. Actually I ask
myself, how one can do an effective code review without such a tool? It's kind
of time-consuming to download the patch file, inspect it in an editor and post
comments to jira, copy and pasting code lines or typing line numbers.

What do you think? Would it be good to strongly encourage the use of
ReviewBoard for every change whose patch file is longer then ~30 lines? I also
think, that the current process of using ReviewBoard is time-consuming. But if
that should be the reason to reject a review tool, then you might have a look
to my suggestion of using Gerrit at the ASF[2].

I scanned the wiki[3][4] and didn't find ReviewBoard mentioned. ZOOKEEPER-1172
is an example of an (I believe) new contributor, who didn't know about
ReviewBoard and also didn't correctly fill the ReviewRequest. I believe that
the review process could become easier for the committers, if people would
default to open review requests.

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.hadoop.zookeeper.devel/10095
[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.infrastructure.devel/1361
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToContribute
[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/Committing+changes

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Re: Make ReviewBoard obligatory?

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Yes, I suspect that's the case. We should call this out explicitly in
the "how to contribute" changes for RB.

Also, using the rbtools I mentioned helps with this.

Patrick

Posted by Eugene Koontz <ek...@hiro-tan.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Eugene - already there:

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I think review board is definitely a good practice but we probably
> dont have to make it mandatory. We can definitely update the
> howtocontribute twiki on uploading to review board, if the patch is
> big enough. I usually dont use review board. I download the patch and
> use eclipse to see what changes have been made (mostly because
> sometimes I just edit the patch myself).

I personally find it useful wrt providing f/b to the contributor, more
than as a review tool in and of itself. It also makes it easy to see
the changes btw patch versions (say you go back/forth with the
contributor).

Regardless I'm +1 generally to adding RB as part of our contribution process.

Patrick

Re: Make ReviewBoard obligatory?

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
I think review board is definitely a good practice but we probably
dont have to make it mandatory. We can definitely update the
howtocontribute twiki on uploading to review board, if the patch is
big enough. I usually dont use review board. I download the patch and
use eclipse to see what changes have been made (mostly because
sometimes I just edit the patch myself).

thanks
mahadev

Posted by "Fournier, Camille F." <Ca...@gs.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
I would be in favor of requiring RB for any/all changes, regardless of
size. We do this at Cloudera religiously, I find it's a good practice
and it eliminates any guesswork.

We also use rbtools (specifically post-review.py), which greatly
simplifies the process of posting a review.
http://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/dev/users/tools/post-review/

Patrick

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.
yes, i agree, and ~30 lines does sound like a good threshold. we
should update the wikis. the initial dialog box was a bit daunting the
first time since i couldn't figured out what they meant by base
directory and then i couldn't figure out how i should name it.
documenting the policy, procedures, and conventions would make it much
easier all the way around.

ben