Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2008/02/26 19:11:27 UTC

[RESULT] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc4)

Commons Proxy 1.0 release candidate 4 has been approved for release.
The votes are as follows:

+1 Niall Pemberton (binding)
+1 Oliver Heger (binding)
+1 "sebb" (binding)
+1 James Carman (binding)

Re: [RESULT] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc4)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Where are those utilities mentioned on the "Cutting the Release" page?
 The verify_sigs.sh, sign_and_hash.sh, etc.?  It says they're in SVN,
but I couldn't find them.  What's the full URL?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
What gap?

I don't see one in IE7, FF 2.0.0.12 or Opera 9.26 on WinXP/SP2

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
jcarman@carmanconsulting.com wrote:
> Does anyone know why there's a gap in the navigation menu on the
> proxy website?
>
> http://commons.apache.org/proxy
>
> Did I generate the site wrong?

No. This is normal:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-14

- Jörg

Re: [RESULT] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc4)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On 2/27/08, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The earlier parts of the document assume that the code has been tagged as
>
>  tags/foo-1.2
>
>  not
>
>  tags/foo-1.2RCn
>
>  The alternative of voting on builds from RCn tags does not seem to be
>  documented...
>
>  AIUI, the idea is to create the full release tag by copying the RCn
>  tag once the RCn has been approved.  Otherwise SVN looks as though 1.0
>  was never released ...
>
>  So in this case I think that
>
>     tags/proxy-1.0-rc4
>  now needs be copied to
>     tags/proxy-1.0

Sorry.  I remembered this last night, but never got around to it or
writing it down.  I've made the copy.

Re: [RESULT] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc4)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:30 PM, James Carman
>
> <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>  > On 2/27/08, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > On 27/02/2008, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>  >  >  > On 2/27/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > > Like everything here it needs volunteers willing to take that role. If
>  >  >  >  >  I have spare cycles at the time, I would be willing to do some
>  >  >  >  >  releases and I don't mind being asked.
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > The better the documentation is, the more people will potentially be
>  >  >  able to help ...
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > Good, cause I may have to do a 1.1 release of proxy soon! :)  The
>  >  >  >  proxy objects generated by proxy aren't serializable in 1.0.  It took
>  >  >  >  a bit of work to get them to be serializable.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > Perhaps add serialVersionUIDs to all the relevant classes?
>  >
>  >  Well, I could add that, but I don't think proxies are meant to be
>  >  stored for long periods of time (between server restarts for
>  >  instance), nor do I think they're going to be sent "across the wire."
>  >  They're most likely going to be stored in an HttpSession.  So, I don't
>  >  know if setting the serialVersionUIDs is that big of a deal.  It
>  >  couldn't hurt, of course.
>

> I always thought it better to leave them out and let them be generated
>  by the jvm, that way you don't have to remember to update them when
>  changing the class.

True.

It's a trade-off - reduced run-time processing compared with increased
maintenance.

In this case - where it seems unlikely that different versions will
ever be mixed - it's unlikely that forgetting to update the ID would
cause any problems. So it may be worth risking that in order to
benefit from the reduced runtime calculations.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 4:48 PM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 4:11 PM, James Carman
>
> >  >  I've done this.  But, when you go to the "releases" section of the
>  >  >  commons site, it says that  proxy has not had a release yet.  What
>  >  >  sets all of that up?
>  >
>  >
>  > The site is in commons-build
>  >    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/
>  >
>  >  ...and the download pages are generated using xslt. So you have to
>  >  update commons-build\downloads\download.xml and then re-generate those
>  >  pages - instructions here:
>  >   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/downloads/README.txt
>  >

>  This stuff should be added to our instructions.

Yes, although I'm hoping that now commons-build-plugin has been
released that will be adopted for generating the download pages - I'm
planning to raise that once that plugin is in a release of
commons-parent (hopefully version 8 which is being voted on now). If
it is then it becomes simpler (just running "mvn commons:dowload-page"
in the component project)

>  >  I've updated it for proxy 1.0 and uploaded a new version of that page
>  >  - should be able to see it after the next sync
>  >   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=631637
>  >

>  Thank you!  And, sorry for being such a PITA, but this is my first release.

np :)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26/02/2008, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM, James Carman
>  >  <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>  >  > So, are there any directions out there on where I need to copy
>  >  >  everything to get it "published"?
>  >
>  >
>  > Looks like you have the source and binary distros already done in correct place:
>  >  http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/proxy/
>  >

However, the permissions are slightly wrong - the commons group should
be able to write to the files, so you need to do:

$ chmod g+w _R proxy

in the /www/www.apache.org/dist/commons directory.

Probably also need to change your umask:

http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#shell

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.