Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/01 16:35:02 UTC

Re: JSecurity name change - pre vote

I think that you misunderstand why the name must be changed.  It's not
a marketing thing.  Its because the name collides with other similar
external projects and should be changed.  Given that, we may as well
choose a name now and move on.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Tim Veil <tj...@gmail.com>.
My reading of Les' email and the feedback from legal led me to believe
that a name change was not required, at least not on a legal basis.
The comment from legal suggested the only drawback to JSecurity was
that it wasn't "very good branding".  At this juncture, I think this
is a very weak reason to change a name.  The only reason to change the
name now would be because a) we will be legally forced to change it
eventually (dubious)  or b) another, more viable name has greater
cachet (maybe).  From my reading of the dozens and dozens of emails
related to this topic I haven't heard any convincing argument for a or
b.

I'm sure I'm not alone here when I say that the name of a project
means very, very little when making a technology selection.  There are
some truly awful project names out there that I use everyday because
they get the job done.  If we turn this project into what we think and
know it can be, our users won't care what its called.  Much like the
logging facade discussion, I wish we could move beyond this issue.
Just my opinion.  Happy new year and go tigers ;)

Tim