Posted to users@libcloud.apache.org by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org> on 2013/11/21 17:43:59 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Libcloud 0.14.0-beta3 release

Libcloud is a Python library that abstracts away the differences among
multiple cloud provider APIs. It allows users to manage cloud services
(servers, storage, load balancers, DNS) offered by many different providers
through a single, unified and easy to use API.

We are pleased to announce the release of Libcloud 0.14.0-beta3, a first
(beta) release in the 0.14.0 series.

The reason this is a beta and not a final release is that it includes some
pretty big changes (most notably the "region" argument change). I would
like those changes to get some more real-life testing before doing a final
release.

Being a first release in the 0.14.0 series means this really bring many
(and I mean many!) new features, changes and improvements.

Release highlights:

- To make working with providers which support multiple regions easier and
  more user-friendly, some of the drivers have moved away from the "one
  class per region" to a single class plus "region" argument model. Those
  drivers include: EC2, Rackspace, ElasticHosts, Joyent, CloudFiles.
- Addition of a programmatic way of updating the pricing file and ability
  to use a custom pricing file. For more information, please see

https://libcloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/compute/pricing.html#using-a-custom-pricing-file
- Addition of block storage management methods to the following drivers:
  OpenNebula, OpenStack, EC2
- Unification of the extension arguments for handling security groups in
  the EC2 and OpenStack driver
- Many new features and improvements in the CloudStack driver
- New compute and loadbalancer driver for Google Compute Engine (GCE)
- Ability to export Libcloud's DNS zone to BIND zone format
- and much more!

Some of the changes noted above are also backward incompatible. For more
information on what has changed and how to update your code to work with
a new release, please visit the "Upgrade Notes" section of our documentation
https://libcloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/upgrade_notes.html#libcloud-0-14-0

Other non-code changes worth a mention:

- Tests now also run on travis-ci - https://travis-ci.org/apache/libcloud
- New documentation is now also available on RTD -
  https://libcloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Full change log can be found at
<
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=libcloud.git;a=blob;f=CHANGES;h=1a8d9e2072d4b49b5718b19f534573f9dfb224e4;hb=5ef0707b2a34f0e8520fe029e7313b7c57f15919#l3

Download

Libcloud 0.14.0-beta3 can be downloaded from
http://libcloud.apache.org/downloads.html
or installed using pip:

pip install apache-libcloud==0.14.0-beta3

It is possible that the file hasn't been synced to all the mirrors yet. If
this
is the case, please use the main Apache mirror -
http://www.apache.org/dist/libcloud.

Upgrading

If you have installed Libcloud using pip you can also use it to upgrade it:

pip install --upgrade apache-libcloud==0.14.0-beta3

Upgrade notes

A page which describes backward incompatible or semi-incompatible
changes and how to preserve the old behavior when this is possible
can be found at
https://libcloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/upgrade_notes.html#libcloud-0-14-0
.

Documentation

Regular and API documentation is available at
https://libcloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/.

Bugs / Issues

If you find any bug or issue, please report it on our issue tracker
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LIBCLOUD>.
Don't forget to attach an example and / or test which reproduces your
problem.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who contributed and made this release possible!

Full list of people who contributed to this release can be found in the
CHANGES
file <