Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com> on 2020/01/27 01:17:31 UTC

ARM CI by ursa-labs/crossbow

Hi,

We're building .deb/.rpm packages for ARM by using QEMU on
x86-64 machine:
  https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/dev/tasks/linux-packages/azure.linux.arm64.yml#L36-L50

It's slow. Some jobs can't finish in 6h, Azure Pipelines
build time limit. You can see some *-aarch64 and *-arm64
jobs are failed in
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6276#issuecomment-578006232 .

(Especially building gRPC for Flight is slow.)

It means that we can't build some .deb/.rpm packages for ARM
by Crossbow.

I can build them on my local machine for 0.16.0. Or we can
just ignore these packages because we didn't support
.deb/.rpm for ARM until 0.15.1. .deb/.rpm for ARM support is
a new feature of 0.16.0. This is not a regression. So this
is not a blocker of 0.16.0.

I submitted a pull request to add support for GitHub Actions
to Crossbow: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6286

If we can use GitHub Actions by Crossbow, we can improve ARM
package build performance by adding self-hosted GitHub
Runner for ARM.

See the following self-hosted GitHub Runner:
  https://help.github.com/en/actions/automating-your-workflow-with-github-actions/about-self-hosted-runners

It seems that Ursa Labs has ARM machine:
  https://github.com/ursa-labs/ursabot/blob/master/workers.yaml#L113

Could you add the ARM machine to
https://github.com/ursa-labs/crossbow/ ? Then we can use
the ARM machine to build .deb/.rpm packages for ARM by
Crossbow.

kou

Re: ARM CI by ursa-labs/crossbow

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.