Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/02 12:16:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Re-trying releases

Over the past two years, I've been doing several releases in Felix and
i've re-rolled some with the same version without any problems.
I don't see any mention about not reusing the same number twice in the
release process:
http://felix.apache.org/site/release-management-nexus.html
What's the driver behing that ?

Until those releases are published, poeple accessing those are fully
aware of waht they are, so I don't see that as a problem.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSS] Re-trying releases

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 02.02.2011, 14:01 +0000 schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
> The fact you voted -1 puts a lot of pressure on me if I want to go to
> the majority in order to have those released ;-)

Probably yes. So I have to apologize to have rushed in with a
would-be-veto. I should rather only have raised my concern without
placing a vote.

> Last, remember each PMC decides on its own rules to govern its project.

Right -- to a certain degree. There are things a PMC cannot decide on.
And this is what makes the ASF strong.

> So the fact Roy sent an email on Jackrabbit doesn't make it an
> official policy for the ASF (and the ASF itself doesn't care about
> such technical details).

Since I could not come up with any official policy and assuming that
thus there is none, I have to agree with you here ...

> I'll re-roll those releases,

Thanks a lot.

> but I'd like things to be agreed upon
> *and* documented at some point.

Agreed.

My opinion is to state, that each vote must be with a new, increased
version number regardless of the outcome (success or failure) or earlier
votes of the same project.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Fair enough.  I'll start a vote now.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz>.
If the bits are identical ... no increment is necessary. If the bits differ ... increment it.

Kind regards,

	Peter Kriens

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Guillaume Nodet  wrote

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 02:52, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> On 2/3/11 20:39, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> I think that if it's good enough for the rest of the maven ecosystem it's
>> good enough for felix.  How is felix special?
>
> Felix is special because we think it is, so we make the rules based on what
> we want to do, not what someone else does.

That's really not a good answer ... I really don't think the Felix
project has any different requirements than the other projects I've
worked with to justify such rules.
I can get the one with the incremental bump between snapshots and the
release (because of the osgi versions comparison), though I do think
people are kinda fool if they deploy snapshots in production and I
don't care much about development environments.   But snapshots are
public and can be out there for a few weeks or months whereas our
releases candidates are not really public (you really have to be on
the dev list to know about those) and short-lived (at most one week),
so people are welll aware of their status.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I think since issue has been solved a while ago by mandating all
artifacts have pgp / md5 signatures to identify if those are valid or
not.  That's the whole (and only afaik) point of those additional
required files.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

My vetoes (actually there is no veto in a release vote since this is a
majority vote) are grounded on a message Roy Fielding once sent to the