Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Albert Vila Puig <av...@imente.com> on 2004/02/02 16:56:21 UTC

Increase search performance

Hi all,

    Can I increase the search performance disabling the score
calculation? How can I achieve that? I only need to implement a custom
similarity class.
    I want to score all matching documents with 1. My organization does
not need the scoring algorithm, and I'am testing if without it the
performance increase if better.

    Can I score all matching documents with 1 easily? This change will
increase the search performace? I'am searching over multiple big indexes
(each one of 4Gb +/-, 5Millions documents each +/-)

Thanks

--
Albert Vila Puig
http://www.imente.com

Re: Increase search performance

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 2, 2004, at 10:56 AM, Albert Vila Puig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Can I increase the search performance disabling the score
> calculation? How can I achieve that? I only need to implement a custom
> similarity class.
>    I want to score all matching documents with 1. My organization does
> not need the scoring algorithm, and I'am testing if without it the
> performance increase if better.
>
>    Can I score all matching documents with 1 easily? This change will
> increase the search performace? I'am searching over multiple big
> indexes (each one of 4Gb +/-, 5Millions documents each +/-)

I very seriously doubt that a custom Similarity class would increase
performance, but why not try it and see?!  :)

The only thing you'd save is a bit of computation, which is probably
negligible anyway.

	Erik