Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gunnar Brading <gu...@astrogator.se> on 2004/09/01 14:31:18 UTC

Re: Functionality of for Servlets

Your suggestion is very good, but doesn't work, as I understand it, when
not using a SecurityManager. Subject.getSubject() returns null.

Now I myself think it is a great idea to use a security-manager at all
times, but when writing an application it seems like a good idea not to
make that assumption.

Is it really a requirement to have a SecurityManager for Subject to be
useful? It seems like a construct like the one you suggest should work
even without one.

Cheers,
-- Gunnar

Gunnar Brading wrote:

> I have been in need of using the <run-as> tag in a Tomcat-only
> environment... Is this possible? Reading the source indicates that it
> wouldn't be possible to get the information about the role the context
> currently is in. Using the requests in-role methods of course tells me
> about
> the user, and not the context.
>
> Have I come to the right conclusion?

No ;-)

You can get access to the Subject by doing
Subject.getSubject(AccessController.getContext())

> Reading the specs tells me that the functionality is meant for
> transferring roles to EJB's. Some documentation I found at Sun
> indicates though that even web-applications should be able to use this.

The way SJSAS 8.x is doing that is by using the Subject and then the
principal(s) associated with the Subject.

-- Jeanfrancois

--
 Gunnar Brading, Astrogator AB - High Performance Networks & Interactive Media
  Email; gunnar@astrogator.se  Address; Rorstrandsgatan 30A, 113 40 STOCKHOLM

     The scientist describes what is; the engineer creates what never was
					- Theodore von Karman

Re: Functionality of for Servlets

Posted by Gunnar Brading <gu...@Astrogator.SE>.
Following up after some testing....

I gave up, and just for testing thought I should use the
SecurityManager. Always a good idea.
But... I got to be stupid or something, but I do not get the <run-as> to
show up anyhow.

When not authenticated, the retrieved Subject gives an empty set of
principals
When authenticated the set of Principals only shows the authenticated
users roles.

The <run-as> doesn't seem to affect the Subject as far as I can tell. It
should I guess, as Jeanfrancois said.
I personally think it should, even without a SecurityManager.

Any insights?

Cheers,
-- Gunnar

How to Disable Tomcat Logs

Posted by Shakeel Ahmad <sh...@globalnorthstar.com>.
How to disable Tomcat's logs, including stderr and stdout ?