Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/04/16 17:08:02 UTC

Re: Debug symbols in release binaries (was Debugging AWT-EventQueue)

>> That would significantly increase the size of the JARs - that may not be important to a server-side app, but it does have implications on a client-side app.
>
> It's not that important for desktop apps nowadays, but I see your point for applets and WebStart apps. However, any serious developer providing such apps would use pack200 on the jars anyway, and it has an option --strip-debug to remove any debug symbols. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2287615/java-jar-symbol-info-what-is-the-equivalent-of-tdstrip for details.

That's cool. I was not aware of that feature.

I just built both debug and non-debug JARs and the size difference is not that significant, especially over a broadband connection. Given these arguments, it seems reasonable to add the debug symbols to the release binaries. Does anyone have any objections?

Re: Debug symbols in release binaries (was Debugging AWT-EventQueue)

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
for me this proposal is Ok.

Pay attention only that with ant is will be not-so-easy to integrate pack200
commands, there is an (old, and not maintained) project here
https://java-pack200-ant-task.dev.java.net/ with a jar for this, could be
useful for some cases.

In last weeks I have the same problems (of missing debug info) using Pivot
jars with Maven, so also in this case leaving debug enabled could be useful

Bye,
Sandro